Photo

IS there a VERY simplified Version of the Game?

Simplified Rules Set

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wlr107

wlr107

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:58 PM

I am a teacher in Norfolk, at Azalea Gardens Middle School. I have purchased two sets of the rules, hardcover and electronic version.

Norfolk school district has approved me to start a wargame club at my school! YEA! I have several students whop want to play ship to ship combat, but with middle schoolers and a 2 hour time limit, I need a VERY simplified set of rules. (Most of my students will be 6th and 7th graders).

Is there anyone who has a simplified set that I can use? Even a simpler ships log would be nice, as well as a log sheet with a spot to put the ship information on the top would be great!

Thanks for any guidance in advance!

Will Rogers

AGMS

#2 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:48 PM

My advice would be to keep it to cruisers and destroyers with each player only pushing one ship until they master the basics. You might even want to avoid torpedoes until they fully understand how to use the gunnery CRT including equivalent hits and how to apply damage. The other advice I would give is this. Each ship has its fight; long range gunnery, short ranged gunnery with rapid fire, torpedoes and what not. If they look at the game that way and then learn to figure out what each ship's fight is (including their opponent's) then they will quickly become very competent as a naval gamer and its a skill they can apply outside of gaming also.

I'm not going to try and teach you suck eggs. You're a teacher and you know that the best way to teach them to eat the apple is one bite at a time. So avoid the the optional rules until they're good with the basics and keep your scenarios simple until then also. Then when you add these other concepts you will not only be building on what they now know, but adding the spice of change as well.

In any case my hat is off to you for bringing in new blood which the hobby will die without. Tell your students that I wish them long life and victory. You will make history come alive for them and they will learn that we can best see where we are going by looking back at where we came from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users