6 replies to this topic

#1 IanS

IanS

Private

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 11:14 AM

Hi

I'm new to naval wargaming and I just purchased the digital download of the rules.  My question is about the game  aids (ie rulers, turn circles etc).  Are they available to buy in the UK or do I need to order direct from ODGW.

Looking forward to getting my copy and some miniatures and trying out a few games.

#2 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:59 PM

Go to the downloads (above) and look in the private and public library where you will find several versions of rulers and turning gauges as well as many other play aids that you can download for free.

If you have any other needs, let me know and I'll try to get you hooked up. I hope you enjoy the rules.

WMC

• mp44dude likes this

#3 IanS

IanS

Private

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 04:33 PM

Thanks WMC

I think I found a supplier in the UK that does at least some of the GQ game aids.  Other then that I'm looking to print off a selection of items from the downloads section.  I never checked till you advised, so thanks for that tip :)

Do people have any links to suppliers of things that you use in the games that are pleasant to look at.  ie I'm not a fan of the LITKO plastic look for things like water splash's and fire markers, but I'm also not very good at home crafting.

#4 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 09:36 PM

I don't know any, but hopefully there is someone who does and they respond to this post.

#5 mp44dude

mp44dude

Private

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTALLAHASSEE

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:14 PM

For hits and fire markers I use beads.  White for hits and red for fires.  I play in 1/6000 scale so I dont need large "splash" markers.  I made some torpedo launch markers 1/2" metal bases, Durham Wood putty and some paint.  For movement and turn gauges I had LITKO make some based on the rulers mentioned above.  Attached File  End.jpg   98.66KB   0 downloads

#6 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 05:00 AM

Just about anything will work. The larger the game, the more you will play aides.

#7 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 06:54 PM

I also play with 1:6000 scale. I use pipe cleaners (you can cut them with heavy scissors and they bend as well as being cheap and readily available) for smoke. White for chemical and black for funnel. I use small puff balls for markers. Red for fire, White for non-penetrating hits and black for penetrating hits. I do use Litko markers for radar contacts and I use their smoke markers to outline squalls as they are easy to move every turn. I also use Litko markers for evasive maneuver as I use all the optional gunnery rules. I also use Litko markers for EDR fires in night actions and their illumination markers for star shell. I've decided to standardize the size of my squalls (this is always a work in progress, even after 40 plus years) 3" diameter for small. 6" for medium and 9" for large. I'll cut them out of mat board and use the Litko markers for when two or more squalls merge as happened in PB vs Convoy 2. Now, I don't use cementers for range. I use inches and 1 inch is 500 yards. I do this because in 1:6000, 1 inch equals 500 feet. That makes the math too hard for me and I play with 1 inch = 500 yards or 1:18000 as that makes the math easy. as you can see my way of doing this subject to change when I find something I like better for whatever reason takes my fancy. So, I love to hear how other people do this as I expect to find a better way on occasion. And if I've given you any ideas here that will make the hobby better for you then I'm just ecstatic.

PS I don't use flotsam and jetsam markers as I do not keep track of atrocity points. This is war after all, and IMHO mercy is for the merciful and I do not define someone trying to sink me as merciful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users