• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 12:26 PM

Would like to play out one of the few successful encounters of the US Navy during the revolutionary war.  Getting the gunnery right is easy.  Am thinking more to hull and sail.  USS Hancock was one of the first frigates laid down for the US Navy.  Should I use a 5th rate or 6th rate US navy card as my template?  The 5th rate US ships in the 1800s appear bigger than my Hancock.  Would she sail similar to a 5th rate or 6th?

Same questions for the Fox.  She was a 6th rate of the Enterprise class.  My plan was just to use a british 6th rate as a template and change the guns.  Any problems with that?    Brian, don't know if you look at this board but I know you would know the answers to these questions.  Anybody help please?

Thanks

Joe

#2 schoon

schoon

Corporal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 06:54 PM

Based on the information I've been able to glean on the USS Hancock and HMS Fox, I'd say:

USS Hancock: go with the USS Essex data sheet for the sails, crew (-1), rigging, and hull

USS Fox:use the HMS Surprise data sheet for the remaining statistics, as it's the same class

#3 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 08:03 PM

Schoon,

Thanks for the reply.  That is what I did almost.  For those that want to try the battle ( without the USS Boston interfering) I have included the USS Hancock card I made.  the Hancock had a great reputation but given 2 equal crews it will win handily.  I think make the US crew average and change their reload times to 3 phases as the US had great sailing experience but almost no combat experience to draw on in 1777.

Thanks again.

Joe

#4 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 08:05 PM

Sorry it won't allow me to upload the card.  I will picture it in my next blog post.  Am running a barge busting mission on lake Ontario. 

Cheers

Joe

#5 schoon

schoon

Corporal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 10:32 PM

Once you upload the picture, I'll make some custom ship sheets out of it for you, like the ones I did in the other thread.

#6 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:10 AM

That would be great.  How do you upload your work?

Danke

Joe

#7 schoon

schoon

Corporal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:11 PM

You can upload graphics to the Gallery section of this website and then link them in to a Forum post.

https://www.odgw.com/forums/gallery/

#8 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:48 PM

Seems complicated.   How do I link it?

Sorry

Joe

#9 schoon

schoon

Corporal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 04:43 PM

Hi Joe - check your messages here on the forums for another way to get the info to me so I can get to work on the cards for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users