4 replies to this topic

#1 gommolo

gommolo

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

I have recently started to explore the wonderful world of naval wargame. I would like to have suggestions on companies to buy scale models up to 1/3000. Thanks for your help

Marco - Italy

Greetings, I have recently started to explore the wonderful world of naval wargame. I would like to have suggestions on companies to buy scale models up to 1/3000. Thanks for your help

#2 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 21 October 2022 - 08:10 PM

What era are you planning to focus on? Determining that could help with recommendations. War Times Journal had an extensive range of scalable 3D printed models in the WWI and predreadnought periods, but they have ceased production. They now offer digital print files and the opportunity to print them yourself. I've not tried it (yet).

Navwar offers a range of 1/3000-scale models. I do not own any, but I know many who do and they seem like nice representations. Here's their site:

http://www.navwar.co...nav/default.asp

Fujimi had a line of 1/3000-scale plastic models that was decent, but it was primarily models of WWII IJN ships. I don't know if these are still available or not, but worth a look if you can find them.

There are probably other manufacturers as well. Others may be able to recommend a few.

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 30 October 2022 - 12:45 AM

I've gamed with 1/1250, 1/2400, 1/3000 and 1/6000. I've come to prefer 1/6000 as they allow larger actions (a must for WWI) to be resolved on a table top rather then the floor (I'm older and my knees won't go for the down and dirty anymore). Actions like Java Sea can easily be fought out on a table top. Then there is the cost of the larger ships. I tend to want to campaign and the cost of providing both sides in a large campaign can be prohibitive with larger scales. Figurehead provides a huge range of ships stretching back to the pre-dreadnought era, up to and including WWII. This includes many navies (like Argentina or Spain) that are otherwise hard to obtain unless you are into 3D printing. The models paint up well, although you are never going to get the detail of the larger scales. It depends on what you want to game; small scenarios or larger ones. You can obtain the entire Figurehead range from the "Last Square" on line.

WMC

#4 cooldiscodan31

cooldiscodan31

Private

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 08:38 AM

I'm a big fan of the larger scales 1/2400 being my preferred but do quite a bit of WW2 in 1/1800 and 1/2400.  I enjoy painting them more details are easier to pick out and 3D models at the scale are easy to find and fairly easy to print.  But, they do look a little too big on the table.  My group is confined to a 6'x4' table so we use a 2CM = 100YDs for GQ3.3 the model sizes don't fit the scale but it works for us.  

Jeff Amey

Minnesota Wargamer

My Blog

#5 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:06 AM

We generally look to 1/2400 for cruiser-and-under actions or fights where longer ranges are precluded (weather, night, etc.), 1/6000 for an OOB with the larger ships (longer-ranged gunnery) and/or actions involving many ships. Table space is somewhat limited here as well, a 5'x9' about the most we can accommodate. Most go off on something quite a bit smaller, aided by the "rolling surface" concept.

Pretty much on the same page with WMC, although note that Figurehead does offer a limited line of modern era 1/6000 ships covering the RN, USN, Russian/Soviet, and some Latin American fleets. We have used these to game actions in the Falklands and hypothetical battles around North Cape. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users