4 replies to this topic

#1 BritTorrent

BritTorrent

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:23 AM

Hi all,

Like a few others I've noticed here, I'm like to use Post Captain with my 1/700 Black Seas ships, as I already have a large collection. I've been on the lookout for something with a bit more meat than Black Seas. 

What initially drew me to Black Seas though, was that it's the first Naval Game I found that didn't require a basket ball court to play on! Unfortunately I only have a 6' x 4' table, so this really limits a lot of the games I can play. Especially WW2 games like GQ.

Does anybody here play at 1/700 scale on a 6' by 4' table? If so, how does it work? Is there enough room to turn and maneuver, or does every battle just become a slugging match from the outset?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

#2 ProfGRP

ProfGRP

Private

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWaco, TX

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:56 PM

A 4' x 6' table is plenty big enough for single ship actions, though it's necessary sometimes to shift the ships, in their relative positions, to stay on the table. It's a bit harder with more ships. I've never tried more than 2-3 total.

#3 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 06 July 2023 - 04:28 AM

When playing surface is limited, we have found a good solution is the "scrolling" table top - get yourself a few yards of felt or other semi-stiff fabric of an appropriate color (enough to overlap the table by a significant amount in all directions) and use that as your playing surface on the table. Then, as action proceeds, you can draw the fabric in various directions across the table, keeping all relative positions intact for your ships while providing additional maneuver room. There may still occasionally be instances of space-limitation, but this method will mitigate many of them. 

#4 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:33 AM

It does not matter what scale you use; you will run out of table. It happens to me with 1:6000. My solution (but not my idea) was to purchase a set of floor mats that interlock, and I painted them blue. You could add white caps and the like if you are so inclined. What the mats allow me to do is to take off mats that we have moved off of and place them where we are going. It makes your table like the sea, unending. It allows you to get by with a smaller table then you would otherwise. You can find sets of mats at Home Depot or Lowe's in the flooring section. You will need a good indoor/outdoor latex, or the paint will crack with usage as the mats flex. They are not heavy, but they can be bulky depending on how many you buy and their thickness. They come in different colors and surface textures. Mine started out as an exercise mat that looked like a hardwood floor before I turned them into water. With Christians, you get wine, but us pagans don't rate that. 

WMC

#5 schoon

schoon

Corporal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:19 PM

For 1v1, I find that a 4'x4' table is a little tight but generally workable.

For 2v2, 6'x6' is typically good, and I figure that would also work for 3v3, though I haven't tried that yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users