• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Laplante

Robert Laplante

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

Hello,I was talking with an Advanced Squad leader buff last Friday and he told me that the Sherman 75mm gun was based on the famous French 1897 75 mm gun.He also told me that this gun had a very rapid rate of fire, much higher than the other 75 mm guns like the one found in Panzer IV. He also tell me that this was covered by a special rule in his favoriter rules system (I dont doubt this part, ASL having so many, many, many rules for anything and addendas for almost all of its rules..)Have you ever heard about this ? Should Sherman 75 mm gun have a ROF of 2 ?What do you think ?

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:09 AM

Have you ever heard about this ?

Nope I sure didn't, but...

Should Sherman 75 mm gun have a ROF of 2 ?

Frankly, no. I have based the ROF on the actual Sherman ROF. This ROF is then applied to a calculation that gives the game ROF.A couple of facts to consider on this subject;1.) The gun is inside an armored turret and the gun loader is, at best, cramped in this space.2.) Gun loader is trying to maneuver rounds from stowage to the gun inside the cramped turret.While the venerable French 75 could fire at a high ROF, the same gun in a tank turret could not. ;)

#3 Robert Laplante

Robert Laplante

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:59 AM

'' A couple of facts to consider on this subject;1.) The gun is inside an armored turret and the gun loader is, at best, cramped in this space.2.) Gun loader is trying to maneuver rounds from stowage to the gun inside the cramped turret.''Good points. Next time I will talk to my big ruleset loving friend, I will make sure to mention this !!!

#4 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:03 AM

I would also add the twoed guns have an entire crew of several men, while a tank generally has just one guy. And like Bob said, that one guy is doing his work in a cramped space to boot.

#5 Robert Laplante

Robert Laplante

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

Yesm that also make sens. In a turret, their is only one loader and a gunner. They dont have help fro other guy to pass in the ammunition.Thanks again for nyour input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users