• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Herkes

Paul Herkes

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

I played through my first game with the new GQ3 rules last night, and my group had a few questions. Forgive me if these are covered in a FAQ, I couldn't find one. Gunfire range (page 1-9), the rule reads "4. Find the row on the DAY or DARK range scale that is less than or equal to the target range and read across the row until it intercepts the firing battery's column." As written, that would say that if the measured range to the target is 10,000 yds, the firing ship would use the 9,000 yd range row. The "less than or equal" wording caused some discussion; we're used to reading up to the next highest range, not down to the next lowest, so wanted to confirm that this is correct as written. We are assuming that fire over 30,000 yds is allowed only with spotting aircraft, and would be on the 30,000 yd row.The next question is whether there is a provision for damage when the target does not have the indicated system, either because the system never existed or because all systems have already been destroyed. For example, my Zara suffered several TT damage results but has no TT mounts. Are these free hits or should the damage carry over to another system? In this case it would have seemed reasonable to mark the damage against the teriary gun mounts, but we couldn't find a definitive rule on how to handle the situation.On an Engineering hit, it is possible for a ship's maximum allowable speed to drop more than 5 knots. Should the affected ship decelerate 5 knots per turn or immediately drop to the new maximum speed? The emergency stop rule--the ship moves 3/4 of its last plot, versus a potential 50% drop with the engineering hit--suggests that momentum would carry the ship forward and speed would drop off only by the normal 5 knot decrease until the new maximum is reached.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

Gunfire range (page 1-9), the rule reads "4. Find the row on the DAY or DARK range scale that is less than or equal to the target range and read across the row until it intercepts the firing battery's column." As written, that would say that if the measured range to the target is 10,000 yds, the firing ship would use the 9,000 yd range row. The "less than or equal" wording caused some discussion; we're used to reading up to the next highest range, not down to the next lowest, so wanted to confirm that this is correct as written. We are assuming that fire over 30,000 yds is allowed only with spotting aircraft, and would be on the 30,000 yd row.* This is one of those comcepts that is easier to show as an example than to write out. Refer to the example of the Trieste firing on the following page for the correct example. Following this logic, in your example, for 10000yds to the target, you would use the 12000yd row since the range is less than 12000yds but more than 9000yds. For air spotting beyond 30000yds out to the maximum range, you use the 30000yd row (air spotting on a moving target beyond 30000yds is a crap shoot, at best). The next question is whether there is a provision for damage when the target does not have the indicated system, either because the system never existed or because all systems have already been destroyed. For example, my Zara suffered several TT damage results but has no TT mounts. Are these free hits or should the damage carry over to another system? In this case it would have seemed reasonable to mark the damage against the teriary gun mounts, but we couldn't find a definitive rule on how to handle the situation.* If the system does not exist or is already destroyed, then the shot doesn't count and no damage is scored. It does not carry over to other systems. The logic is that the shot either struck a non-essential part of the ship (ie, you blew up the captain's gig) or if it struck an already destroyed system causing no further damage (you "bounced the rubble").On an Engineering hit, it is possible for a ship's maximum allowable speed to drop more than 5 knots. Should the affected ship decelerate 5 knots per turn or immediately drop to the new maximum speed? The emergency stop rule--the ship moves 3/4 of its last plot, versus a potential 50% drop with the engineering hit--suggests that momentum would carry the ship forward and speed would drop off only by the normal 5 knot decrease until the new maximum is reached. * The way we play it, is to drop the top potential speed immediately and then coast down to this new maximum, decelerating at 5 (or 10, for DDs and smaller) knots per turn. (We have fooled around with imposing a faster rate of deceleration for engineering hits, say 2x or 1.5x the normal rate, but thats just our group).MB

#3 Paul Herkes

Paul Herkes

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

Regarding the range chart (paragraphs 4 and 5 on page 1-9), my issue is that the text in paragraph 4 states to use the "row on the DAY or NIGHT range scale that is less than or equal to the target range"; given a target range of 10,000 yards, the value which is less than the target range is 9,000, not 12,000. On reading this I thought it didn't make sense. The example in paragraph 5 gave the expected explanation, that you should use the band higher than the measured range.I asked several other gamers how they would interpret paragraph 4, and they independently said that as written the rule appears to direct the player to 'round down' the range rather than 'round up'. I'd suggest that the wording is confusing as written, and it would be a good idea to rephrase it in the main text with something similar to that used in the example.

#4 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

Paul,Thanks for pointing out the wording for the Gunfire CRT range row could be clearer. I see why it would appear confusing. I'll try to make it a bit clearer in the future; sometimes you just get too close - i.e. used - to a process. And, thanks to Coastal for getting you the answers before I got a chance to get back to the Forum.Switching to locational hits, rather than accumulated hits does result in non significant damage if you don't have that type of armament. This, of course, is a more realistic simulation. Those of you that want a faster game can, as an option, drop back on the old wargame standby of shifting to the next lower battery when the indicated battery is already hit: main to secondary to tertiary, etc. If you want to use this short cut, all should agree before the engagement starts. A little less realistic vs. a bit faster. Two further clarifications: 1) Page 1-13 indicates that after all tertiary mounts are hit, switch to torpedo mounts. This relates to the "Tertiary • TT" damage only in the BA - B* column of the Damage table and is intended for those few capital ships which have torpedo mounts in addition to tertiaries. If the ship only has one type, the hit "counts" only until all of that type are hit.2) The Second Hit, Section 1.9.3, rule on page 1-14 applies to any type of damage that could be repaired. Specifically, it applies to Engineering damage (boiler rooms and engine rooms). Two Engineering hits cause a target to lose power, but could be repaired. A third hit destroys one of the two key Engineering spaces [meaning it cannot be repaired during a scenario], but the other could. A fourth Engineering hit destroys both key Engineering spaces, leaving the crew eyeing the lifeboats (if any) and the Captain with the realization he now commands an expensive radio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users