• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Jerred

Martin Jerred

Private

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

When using DDs or cruisers as fast transports are there any suggestions for how this would impact on gunnery and combat? Clearly the VP or scenario requirements for losing ships loaded with troops would have an effect but I wondered if perhaps gunnery should be worse or even if it is available. What about TT mounts (I undersand these were routinely removed for DD minelaying missions), etc?Any observations or recommendations?cheersZippee

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

Generally speaking, gunnery would not be adversely impacted, however, it was not uncommon for depth charges or torpedoes to be offloaded to make room for troops and their equipment. Using the the Japanese as an example, the DDs used as transports (the famous Toyoko Express) would routinely leave their depth charges on the dock, and sometimes would offload their torpedo loadout as well (to gain additional carrying capacity). So gunnery combat would remain unchanged while, depending on the scenario, torpedoes may be unavailable and depth charges would most likely be unavailable. For larger ships (cruisers and above), there would be no impact, whatsoever, since the larger ships have more room available for such activity.

#3 Martin Jerred

Martin Jerred

Private

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

Many thanks, that corroborates with my frantic reading - doing a Norway 1940 mini-campaign next weekend. The KM DD transports seem to have retained their TTs - they used them against Norge and Eidesvold. I'm pretty sure the RN I class minelayers had shipped theirs though.It was really the gunnery I was unsure about. And you've covered that.One last thought was I wondered if perhaps the repair rolls should perhaps be made a little harder, to reflect all the landlubbers getting in the way? Also perhaps dropping morale to reflect a desire not to be in combat.thanks againZippee

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

"One last thought was I wondered if perhaps the repair rolls should perhaps be made a little harder, to reflect all the landlubbers getting in the way? Also perhaps dropping morale to reflect a desire not to be in combat."Hmmm. Good points. Regarding dropping the Morale class; I can see the rationale since the transport mission might override any desire to engage (or continue to engage). Damage control is another matter. DC is given absolute priority aboard ship (there's an old adage in the USN that every man is whatever his rate is and a firefighter too) and woe unto anybody who gets in the way. The "cargo" would not be allowed to interfere, and in fact, would more likely be dragooned in some manner (as fire hose handlers, for example). So, I'd leave the repair rolls as is.Unfortunately, we really don't have much to go on, save the IJN (who had pretty sad damage control to begin with) and the KM's Norway Op (and the only real example being the Blucher, which went down way too fast for any damage control to be effective).

#5 Martin Jerred

Martin Jerred

Private

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

Fair points, The scenario objectives should dis-incentivise fighting with transports but players will be players ;) thanks againZippee

#6 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

Zip and Coastal,I've been following your comments on my blackberry while in Kuala Lumpur.That's a level of detail we hadn't included in the Campaign rules. Good suggestions; I think you both are on the right track. Once Zip has had a chance to try them out, this might be a nice refinement to add.One further comment on using DDs for minelaying. Section 1.16.3 on page 1-25 indicates that one campaign "day" is required to beach all torpedoes and DCs and the "Y" gun mount when converting a DD or TB for minelaying. This should be read to apply to DDs and TBs; larger ships such as cruisers have sufficient hull capacity to carry mines without reductions in armament. I found a number of references in my research to the need for beaching gear when employing DDs and TBs for minelaying, but the case is less clear for cruisers. It's my view that most had sufficient hull/buoyancy capability to preclude reducing the number of torpedoes and shells carried during a minelaying mission. Gun mounts weren't removed, but it may be that reducing the ammo/torpedo load might have been necessary for some of the smaller cruisers. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has more data on this or examples of any classes where this might have been required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users