• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bradley

Jason Bradley

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

I had a quick question on the multiple batteries modifier to the CRT. Is this cumulative or is it just one step up if multiple batteries are firing at the same target? I assumed by the reading that it's just a one step up regardless of how many batteries or ships are firing but a freind sez he thinks it's cumulative per batter and per ship which doesn't make any sense to me.

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

It is up one row regardless of the number of additional batteries.

#3 Jason Bradley

Jason Bradley

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

thanks!

#4 Thomas Ruta

Thomas Ruta

Private

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:40 PM

Gentlemen,As a house rule, we apply this modifier if more than one SHIP fires at a single target, not more than one battery. Our thinking is that directors from one ship should (usually) be able to work together, so that interference between batteries would be minimal. Several ships firing at a single target would be a different matter, and would require the modifier.We may re-think this when we get to the pre-Dreadnought era. Typically, battleships of that time had different batteries of similar sized guns. Distinguishing between shell splashes from 12" vs. 10" guns was difficult, and central direction was crude.Regards,Tom.

#5 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:17 AM

The rule as written is to adjust up only one row when multiple ships, and/or multiple batteries on the same ship, are firing at the same target. This is a reasonable simulation of the added difficulty of sensing which splashes belong to which battery. As noted in the NHT boxes, the size of shell splashes had a lot to do with wave entry angles as well as shell size and colored dyes proved to be of limited help at long range.I will be adding a clarification, however, for nighttime radar controlled gunnery (RFC) as the profusion of shell splashes was exactly the problem US Navy ships experienced in the Solomons battles. As noted in the NHT box with the quote from South Pacific Destroyer, radar operators of the early fire control radars tended to correct on to the forest of splashes and off the target. Hence, multiple salvos from many ships against the same target tended to produce far fewer hits than expected - as happened in the 1942 and 1943 battles.Thus, ships employing RFC at night will need to adjust for each ship firing at the same target.LONNIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users