• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bradley

Jason Bradley

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

So played my second game the other night and I'm still having some issues with torpedoes. It could be a case of not playing the rules properly or a misunderstanding on the tactics of the period.In essence, my issue is that it seems like there is almosy no way to fire other then the occasional torpedo salvoe without risk to other ships on my side. For example, if I have a Squadron of 3 ships on say, line abreast. If any ship in the line fires a torpedo other then either ship on the end, firing away from the squadron, you risk hitting another ship in the squadron. If they fire in quarter line, the tail end ship may end up crossing the path of torpedo spreads fired by the other two ships.What I'm finding is that I only get to fire the occasionaly torpedoe spread in squadrons when I've maneuvered in for that perfect shot, and I'm just curious if this was the case historically?We also have a limited space to play on, last game was on a 6x8 table with 3 total cruiser squdrons and 3 cruisers in the game.

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

If you fire torpedoes from an interior ship in a line-abreast formation, or fire torpedoes to the same side as your formation is echeloned, why wouldn't you expect some possible torpedo fratricide?Even when ships were in line-ahead, they would not typically be directly behind the one in front, as they would want to be able to see visual signals (this is especially true for those without TBS).So, use line ahead more often, and when the lead ship fires torpedoes, make a slight turn with the guys behind to make sure they don't end up in the path.

#3 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

It sounds like you may be having trouble with the tactics of torpedo fire more than anything else. And don't feel badly, everybody has gone through it. (Just try manuvering 16 to 24 WWI DDs in formation; that'll test your patience and then some!) Generally speaking, the best formation for launching a squadron sized attack is line ahead followed by an immediate turn away by all ships after launch. In the example you mentioned (line abreast formation), the best tactic would be to turn all ships to a line ahead formation, then launch and retire by either each ship turning away or continue in line ahead and turn away as a formation. The best thing I can suggest is the what the real guys do; practice and practice some more. But don't worry; it will get easier!

#4 Kenneth D. Hall

Kenneth D. Hall

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFlyover Country

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:35 AM

Coastal wrote:

(Just try manuvering 16 to 24 WWI DDs in formation; that'll test your patience and then some!)

Love to...got a date for us? ;) (Snark aside, I'm ready to order as soon as the printer comes through.)

#5 James Davis

James Davis

Private

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

Either use line astern or if you are line abreast, all turn 90 degrees fire and turn again. IIRC the TT dont arm for the first 500 yds anyway. If you do launch with one of your won ships in the line of travel evidentoly the ships captains have issues with each other.Jim D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users