• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Cashin

David Cashin

Private

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

I am painting up my 1/6000 ships to fight Plan Orange, and my 1/2400 ships for the Guadalcanal actions.1/6000 scale ships - How are you basing your 1/6000 ships? Are you just using the bases provided? I was thinking of slightly larger wood bases, easier to pick up etc? - recommended painting approaches? I am ready to do hull, sea, decks, stack caps, turret markings, but I am on the fence about camoflage1/2400 scale ships - Painting suggestions? I plan on camo schemes here but what do you all recommend for priming and prepping? White prime? black prime? prime the basic hull color? Eventhough these are detailed models I think dark primer and dark washes will make them too dark. My experience is that a ship in sunlight is pretty light colored no matter how dark the paint. - Basing suggestions? These will be based for ease of pick up and to go easy on the models, suggestions? Sheet metal? Wood? modelling the sea? Dave C

#2 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

Dave,I have 1:6000 for WWII and always use the provided bases. I paint them intermediate blue and with wakes without the ship model, since it is easier to make a finer wake without the model than with it. For priming, I like to use a grey which is as close to, or even is, the base ship color. This saves time and prevents overcoating the finer details of the models with too many coats of paint. Go easy on camouflage at this scale, especially for the Pacific. Most ships did not have it, and those that did were typically merchant.I am sure there are others more versed in the fine art of painting and color schemes than I am. I have just recently started painting my own stuff again, and have found myself experimenting with decals for carrier decks!Cheers,Gregory

#3 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

many US Ships used the over all dark Blue system, but go here and look at the options by catagory and sometimes by class.http://www.shipcamouflage.com/camouflage_database.htmThey also sell the paint to match, although I have not tried any of it.

#4 David Cashin

David Cashin

Private

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the tips.I like the idea of spray primeing/painting the 1/6000 in their base grey color.Also thanks for the links. According to Larry Bonds camo book Polly scale makes paints to USN specs I think I will try that out.I was surprized that the Camo scheme book wasn't better written. It covered a lot of ground but wasn't as clear as that ship camowebpage thanks. Thanks Dave C

#5 Bill Dickens

Bill Dickens

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

I get very nice results with the 1/6000th scale ships using the following scheme for ships with no camo.Bases: Prime white with spray paint en mass. Brush on an aqua or turquoise blue. Brush on a heavy white along the edges of the recess where the ship model will sit and on the wake. Then dry brush very lightly the white onto the rest of the base to get the wave caps.Ships: Prime white or dark gray. If primed white brush on a dark gray. Dry brush on a light gray with good coverage on the hull but just he highlights of the superstructure (this brings out the detail on the superstructure). Paint the decks a light brown (wood) color. Brush on a few details like black on the tops of the stacks and canvas (brown off white) on the boats. When its all dry finish with a black ink that helps bring out details and gives ships a worn look. I do 5 to 20 ships at a time and it goes very fast. If you do about 10 ships the last stage for the first ship should be dry by the time you are ready to start the next stage with that ship. -- Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users