• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jerome Mrozak

Jerome Mrozak

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

Suppose I have a Matilda tank that shoots at a German 88 AAA gun. The Matilda 2 lbr is notorious for not having a HE round available for it, so the AP round is the only thing available to it.If I shoot at the 88 as though it were an unarmored target, I tend to get "this is wonderful" results. But it seems to me that because the gun itself is so small (mostly air, not like a tank that is mostly steel box) that many rounds that would hit a tank on the fender, etc., would go right past the critical parts of the gun. That is, a gun should have a rather small DM because it is hard to hit with AP only.Another post on the forum confused me. It seems that I should take the AP firepower column and apply it to the gun. Is there a "vs gun" twist I'm not aware of?Thanks,Jerome.

#2 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:01 PM

The "AP Firepower" value is no longer used ... the post you found was apparently pretty old.Most AT guns do have a smaller DM value. The 88mm Flak, however, isn't one of them ... because it was a bloody BIG gun. I remember visiting a museum once that had one of them sitting in the middle of the room like a huge trophy. And sitting to one side was a Sherman. It deserves its +1 DM.Skim through the AA and AT gun sections of the German ET. Most all the AT guns are small, -1 to -3. Some are bigger, but most are less than 0. But the AA gun have higher DM. The reason is the mechanics. AT guns are stationary that sit low to the ground. AA guns are designed to rotate 360 degrees and sit high off the ground.You mention shooting "as though it were an unarmored target". Unarmored targets do not get any special consideration ... other than have DVs of zero. Just want to make sure you are applying the Soft Skin modifier to the Kill Table ... that modifier only applies if the DV is indicated as "s0".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users