Or out of the frying pan and into deep.

#22 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Actually it reminds me of a far side cartoon. There's fish bowl on a table and the surface of the water in it is covered with fire. There are three fish laying the table just outside the fish bowl. The caption reads; "We made it out just in time. But, of course now we are equally screwed". This sounds like a 180 to me.

#23 jaycee

jaycee

Private

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

ABC,Waited a while, but doesn�t seem we�re going to get much comment on this issue. As stated in a previous post, your suggestion proposing an optional rule for Fire damage to the older generation pre-dreadnoughts and armored cruisers would enhance historical results in scenarios involving these ships. Coastal�s suggestion that it be restricted to the 1914 � 1915 period also makes good sense. Once the danger was better understood, considerable efforts were made to strip warships of flammable materials. This was especially important for these older ships built to an earlier, more tolerant standard employing internal wood coverings, furniture and lockers and other flammable trim materials.To maintain commonality, let�s employ the mechanism used elsewhere in GQ III for fires. Further, in the interest of simplicity, let�s restrict the rule to the pre-dreadnought (B*) and armored cruiser (CA) type classifications. A few of the older protected cruisers and light cruisers built to the same earlier era standards were also still active in WW I, but are not separately distinguished from other cruisers on the Ship Logs. Purists may wish to apply this a bit further to light cruisers and protected cruisers built before 1905 as well, identifying specific ships in a given scenario.Therefore, here is a new optional rule, which will be incorporated into any future FAI Amendment. I would be interested in further comments from those who have used this option in their scenarios:7.7.5 B* and CA Fires [optional]Pre-dreadnought battleships (B*) and armored cruisers (CA) are subject to structural Fires during 1914 � 1915 scenarios. Thereafter, the danger was understood and these ships were stripped of flammable materials. This section does not apply to other ship types.� Fire A major fire results when a D12 result of 1 is rolled on the WW I GUNFIRE DAMAGE table for a B* or CA target. This damage is in addition to the Tertiary and SL damage listed. Place a red Fire post-it alongside the target and move with the miniature until extinguished. Fires illuminate the target at night. Mark off one Hull Box in each succeeding Damage Control Phase until the fire is extinguished.� Damage Control The captain of the B* or CA may attempt to extinguish the Fire in the Damage Control Phase of succeeding Game Turns as described in rule Section 7.9.2. Mark off one Hull Box on the target Ship Log each Damage Control Phase the Fire continues to burn. Remove the Fire post-it when it is extinguished. Note: fires that are extinguished in the initial Damage Control Phase cause no hull damage.� CL and CS In addition, this option may also be applied to any CL or CS commissioned prior to 1906 by mutual consent of the players. These ships must be identified prior to beginning a scenario by placing an asterisk next to the CL or CS armor listing at the upper right of their Ship Logs.Cheers,LONNIE

I would go with the above but include all warships of the era, i.e. 1 = fire for all. But with the following minor change. All ships not covered in the above quote suffer half a hull box per move not one.

#24 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

I would go with the above but include all warships of the era, i.e. 1 = fire for all. But with the following minor change. All ships not covered in the above quote suffer half a hull box per move not one.

This was discussed within the design group at length with the above optional rule being the result.  Further testing has shown it rarely comes into play, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users