44 replies to this topic

#1 Scruff

Scruff

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hiya all,

Just brought these rules (electronic copy) and was wondering if the amendments I found are already included in the rule download. Or do I have to deconstruct the pdf and paste in all the pages?

Also, don't you think 72 pages of amendments is a lot of a set of rules that the rule part is not much longer than that? Its a lot of copy/pasting to bring rules up to date.

cheers

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hiya all,

Just brought these rules (electronic copy) and was wondering if the amendments I found are already included in the rule download. Or do I have to deconstruct the pdf and paste in all the pages?

Also, don't you think 72 pages of amendments is a lot of a set of rules that the rule part is not much longer than that? Its a lot of copy/pasting to bring rules up to date.

cheers

As yet, the Amendments have not been folded in the main rules. A rewrite of the main rules to incorporate the amendments is underway and, hopefully, will be available later this year or early next year and will be free (as are all ammendments, etc.) to all purchasers of the rules.

I well understand what you mean (I myself have yet to get all of Amendment 2 into my own copy of the rules). But this is side effect of keeping any set of 'live' rules as current as possible.

#3 Scruff

Scruff

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

Thank you for the quick reply :)

My ships from GHQ turned up yesterday and the guys were wow they are nice and the poor guys at pazershiff (spelling?) have missed out. A bit over $500 went to GHQ so no doubt in a week or so Ill be getting from the guys, "Are they here yet?" "Are they here yet?" heheh

cheers

#4 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

I second the Amendment to incorporate the changes into the body of the rules. :)
At the moment, I've printed out the parts of the 2nd Amendment, which appear to trump/incorporate the 1st Amendment. Hopefully, I've amended correctly.
How The Solomons Campaign fits into the Amendments, I can't imagine.

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

I second the Amendment to incorporate the changes into the body of the rules. :)
At the moment, I've printed out the parts of the 2nd Amendment, which appear to trump/incorporate the 1st Amendment. Hopefully, I've amended correctly.
How The Solomons Campaign fits into the Amendments, I can't imagine.

Amendment 2 (which does include Amendment 1) impacts only GQ3. It doesn't directly impact or change The Solomons Campaign, per se.

#6 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Okay, folks. I'm going mildly insane here trying to figure out the ammendments....

I purchased the GQ3 download a few days ago and dutifully downloaded both ammendments thinking Ammendment 1 was GQ3 (WW2) specific and Ammendment 2 was WW1 (FAI) specific. I'm thinking now that I should have read all of the posts regarding the ammendments before I started printing anything. <sigh>

Some questions:

1. Am I correct in stating that if I download Ammendment 2 and incorporate it I can ignore Ammendment 1 in its entirety? Ammendment 1 seems to have a bunch of ship logs that are not included in Ammendment 2....

2. If Ammendment 2 has a chart that looks like a chart from the base document, that new chart replaces the original. For instance, I thought Chart 2C was an additional chart, but I'm beginning to believe it replaces chart 2A. Of course, I'm now thinking Chart 2E replaces Chart 2C. If that is the case, might I recommend using revison numbers instead of new letter designations? If I am correct in my thinkng, Chart 2E is actually the final version of Chart 2A (Revision 2).

3. Everything preceding the charts in Ammendment 2 appears to be cut-and-paste changes through page Amd 2-21. The pages starting with the glossary page and ending with the page just prior to the charts (page 1.15-3) appear to be wholesale insertions. Is that correct?

I apologize if I appear to be a bit dense, but my wife tells me I'm hard-headed. :)
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#7 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Okay, folks. I'm going mildly insane here trying to figure out the ammendments....

I purchased the GQ3 download a few days ago and dutifully downloaded both ammendments thinking Ammendment 1 was GQ3 (WW2) specific and Ammendment 2 was WW1 (FAI) specific. I'm thinking now that I should have read all of the posts regarding the ammendments before I started printing anything. <sigh>

I'll try and help you navigate through the Amendments (and, believe me, I know its not easy!). First thing to do, is read the Amendment 1 Change Summary and the Amendment 2 Rule Change Summary, Chart and Table Change Summary. This will give an overview of what the changes are. BTW, we're currently in the process of doing a complete re-write of the rules that will incorporate all the Amendments, new Charts and Ships Logs into a single text. This (hopefully) should be finished by mid May and will, as with all updates, be available as a free download to all owners of the rules. This is something that has been a long time coming, but (due to a different format used for the original rules) a lot harder to do than anticipated.

Some questions:

1. Am I correct in stating that if I download Ammendment 2 and incorporate it I can ignore Ammendment 1 in its entirety? Ammendment 1 seems to have a bunch of ship logs that are not included in Ammendment 2....

The answer is yes and no. The following from Amendment 1 are still relevant: Submarine Combat (chart 9D), Campaign Air Ops (chart 10C), the turn gauge (very necessary), the Ship Logs (VERY necessary), and the Scenario Charts- Surface Warfare Chart and Aerial Warfare Chart (these are probably the least used charts and can be ignored. I can say that since I worked on these charts for Lonnie!). The remaining charts in Amendment 1 are updated in Amendment 2 (they're in the Amendment 2 Complete Book). And, of course, any charts from the original not updated from the either Amendment 1 or Amendment 2 are still relevant (and there can't many of those. I think just about every chart has had some modifications doen to them).

2. If Ammendment 2 has a chart that looks like a chart from the base document, that new chart replaces the original. For instance, I thought Chart 2C was an additional chart, but I'm beginning to believe it replaces chart 2A. Of course, I'm now thinking Chart 2E replaces Chart 2C. If that is the case, might I recommend using revison numbers instead of new letter designations? If I am correct in my thinkng, Chart 2E is actually the final version of Chart 2A (Revision 2).

In the main, yes (in this case 2E, the USN Surface Combat Chart, is the final version of 2A). Unfortunately, it is not always that easy. What you need to do is pay less attention to the numbering and more to the title and content of the chart. And to complicate matters, there are additional charts added (such as the 1930s Air Campaign chart). It would've been better to have a more logical system, but then the Amendments kind of grew on their own.

3. Everything preceding the charts in Ammendment 2 appears to be cut-and-paste changes through page Amd 2-21. The pages starting with the glossary page and ending with the page just prior to the charts (page 1.15-3) appear to be wholesale insertions. Is that correct?

Yes, everything from 2-1 to 2-21 are pretty much cut-and-paste changes and clarifications. The sectiond following the glossary and before the charts (Airship Operations and Bombardment and Shore Batteries) is new.

I apologize if I appear to be a bit dense, but my wife tells me I'm hard-headed. :)

No problem! If you have any questions, just post 'em. And as to being hard-headed, my girlfriend thinks the same about me! (Is this a trend? hmmmmm....)

#8 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

Coastal,

Thanks for the reply. I broke down yesterday and put together a spreadsheet of the chart revisions to assist me in sorting it all out. Once I did that, it was pretty easy. That is up until the unexpected power outage killed my printer....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#9 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Coastal,

Thanks for the reply. I broke down yesterday and put together a spreadsheet of the chart revisions to assist me in sorting it all out. Once I did that, it was pretty easy. That is up until the unexpected power outage killed my printer....

Smart move (wish I thought of that!) Of course, having the power crash in the middle of a print session is just plain cruel.....

#10 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Any word on incorporating the Ammendments into the core rules?
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#11 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Any word on incorporating the Ammendments into the core rules?

The rewrite to incorporate all the amendments is proceeding (it turned into a BIG piece of work). It should be released by the end of Sept (barring any hiccups).

#12 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

The rewrite to incorporate all the amendments is proceeding (it turned into a BIG piece of work). It should be released by the end of Sept (barring any hiccups).

Outstanding!
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#13 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

It should be released by the end of Sept (barring any hiccups).

Any estimates? I've got a paper bag if you need one. :P
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#14 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Any estimates? I've got a paper bag if you need one. :P

We may need the bag! :) Seriously, the final parts are going through proof reading, even now. Hopefully (there's that word again!), it'll out by early November.

#15 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

sounds good! This'll make it a bit easier for me to continue to push the game with the guys.

#16 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

We may need the bag! Posted Image Seriously, the final parts are going through proof reading, even now. Hopefully (there's that word again!), it'll out by early November.

What's the mailing address I should send the paper bag to? :P
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#17 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

What's the mailing address I should send the paper bag to? :P

Yeah, I know.. :( A bad case of 'real life' raised its ugly head. But the proofing is about done. As to when they're released, given my miserable track record on predictions, I'll have to leave it at 'soon'.

#18 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, I know.. :( A bad case of 'real life' raised its ugly head. But the proofing is about done. As to when they're released, given my miserable track record on predictions, I'll have to leave it at 'soon'.

"Soon" is good. I was concerned "never" had crept into the conversation.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#19 nukesnipe

nukesnipe

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Any chance of seeing the updated GQIII rules before the end of the year? ;)
Regards,

Scott Chisholm

#20 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Any chance of seeing the updated GQIII rules before the end of the year? ;)

Well. if you mean by end of 2012, probably not since today is the last day of 2012 ;) (and Happy New Year! :P . But they should be out within the next 10-14 days. The serious 'real life' issues mentioned earlier pushed everything back a lot more than anyone expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users