31 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Locationnear Houston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to start a gaming blog. I will be focusing on my 1/1200 scale sailing ships, since they are my longest-running miniatures period. I first started building ships and playing naval games back in high school during the early 1980's. I did leave myself a loophole though, as the blog description says "and other game things that attract my attention."

There's not a lot there right now; just a welcome and some pictures of my two latest ships. I'm putting together pages on rules (where Post Captain will be featured) and my different fleets, so there should be more content in the near future. If you'd like to drop by, the address is:
https://mymodesailin...s.blogspot.com/

BWW

#2 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

great, will check it out!

hmm, says blog removed!

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#3 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

I just added my Spanish ships as the first "family photo."  Eventually, I will have all my sailing ships up there.

BWW

#4 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

no luck accessing your blog.  still says blog removed.

Blog has been removed

Sorry, the blog at mymodesailinglships.blogspot.com has been removed. This address is not available for new blogs.

Did you expect to see your blog here? See: 'I can't find my blog on the Web, where is it?'

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#5 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Oops, sorry about that. There was a typo in the blog title, so I had to change it. The new address is: https://mymodelsaili...ps.blogspot.com

BWW

EDIT:  That new address works, as I tried it from here.

#6 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

bookmarked, great eye candy on that thar blog :-)

Capt. John Paul Jones

#7 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Nice work on the ships!  

#8 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

Thanks guys.  I'm going to be away from the house for a week or thereabouts, so no new photos for the next couple of weeks.  Next up will probably be the two heavy hitters, British and French.  After that I'll start filling in the smaller fleets, merchants, unrated ships and land stuff.  I use Irregular Miniatures 2mm troops for land units, and they work pretty well with the 1/1200 ships.

#9 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

In my latest blog post, I ponder what a Age of Sail admiral is supposed to do with all these newfangled inventions like armor and steam power.  There will be more sailing ship pictures soon, as mentioned in my previous post here.

https://mymodelsaili...ands-dirty.html

BWW

#10 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

G' Day Brian,

Very nice!  

LONNIE

#11 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

Mr. Gill,

Thanks!  I'm learning more and more about photography of miniatures, I can tell you that.  Anyone who takes really good photos has my respect for sure.  My next purchase is probably going to be a sky backdrop so I can photograph some of the fleets in their natural environment.

BWW

#12 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:31 AM

The French fleet is now up on the blog:

https://mymodelsaili...eet-photos.html

BWW

#13 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Brian,

Great ships.  You must cringe when you see mine.  I don't even bother with rigging!

Joe

#14 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:20 AM

Joe,

Actually there are times when I wish I could do them the way you do. 

#15 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Two new entries for the blog this time.  I paint up an island from Amera Plastic Mouldings, and post some pictures of my US, Russian and Dutch ships.

mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

BWW

#16 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

Just added a review of the Stone Mountain Miniatures shore batteries on the blog.

#17 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

Well, it's been a long month.  Much of it was spent dealing with the "joys" of home ownership.  With most of those issues out of the way, I've had a chance to start making blog entries again.  Right now, my merchant ships are the latest blog entry.

mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

#18 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Cool!  Merchants are kinda fun since you have a lot more leeway with the painting.  For my 1/2400s, I've done a small gaggle of brigs as merchants (brigs were very common small merchants, especially for coastal trade).  And the big kahunas (the East Indiamen) are really interesting (some were heavily armed and could give a good sized frigate a bad time). 

I noticed that you've branched out to the Russians.  I've been tempted to do up a separate set of logs for them (if I can ever get the time).   

#19 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:55 AM

Yeah, merchants are fun because you can get away from the usual warship colors and go a bit more flamboyant, or just plain black/brown depending on how cheap the little lead shipowner might be.  The reason I've got so many is that I did a scenario back in 2011 that assumed Commodore Roberts' squadron found the Jamaica convoy in the fog at the beginning of the War of 1812.  For merchant brigs and the like, I just use one of the warships rigged that way and squint a little bit. <_<

I started doing some Russian sheets for the Black Sea ships, but got sidetracked into working on a campaign system.  Hopefully I can get back to them shortly.

EDIT:  I don't have any 1/2400 AOS ships.  I prefer to try and keep my various forms of madness confined to one scale at a time.

Edited by Brian Weathersby, 04 July 2017 - 02:01 AM.

#20 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

Well I cut it close, but did manage to get one blog post in this month.  The HMS Agamemnon is up on the blog.  Who knew that summer would be a distraction to painting, photographing and blogging? :rolleyes:

BWW

EDIT:  Oh, sorry.  It's https://mymodelsaili...ps.blogspot.com

Edited by Brian Weathersby, 29 July 2017 - 03:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users