• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 William Heizer

William Heizer

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

I have the GHQ H39 model and have been working up the ship card for it. For the gunnery chart I need to know at what decent angle would you consult the deck penetration ability for the German 16" navel gun. I have been using the Navel Weapons web site for penetration info. The gun could penetrate BA+ armor (this is vs British armor using the NL line on the chart) out to 21,000 yards with a decent angle of aprox 14 degrees. Other nations armor penetration is different, for GQ 3 what is the standard armor used to asses penetration ability (the Japanese seem to have had the worst armor and there is no listing for the French)? the 16" gun was reported to have deficient deck penetration ability at the longer ranges and this seems to be supported by the chart - only 9.8" at 40,000 yards vs British and only 8.7" vs American it is best vs Italian armor at 11.9" with the decent angle at this range of 41 degrees. Any help in this would be apreciated.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

The problem with developing a CRT for guns like the German 16" is the lack of good data (other than that derived from empirical formulas).  Such is almost universally more optimistic than that derived from actual experience.  A prime example of this is the British 16" Mk I whose theoretical performance was far in advance of its actual performance.  To use the theoretical numbers (when actual wartime experience is lacking) you have to discount the results to account for real world experience (proving ground results being much better than the actual in service performance.  Remember, proving ground results are the absolute optimum against stationary plates of armor, not against a target moving in all three axis).  And this is even moreso when working with empirically derived performance data.

In this particular case, the situation is even more difficult due to the peculiar nature of German gun design.  German naval guns tended to very high velocity pieces, which resulted in very flat ballistics (which accounts for their lackluster deck penetration; the rounds simply did not plunge at what are 'normal' battle ranges).  That said, the German gun's performance is roughly equal to the US 16" in GQ3.3 (actual performance is about 10% less, but well within the game's design parameters).  So, I would use the US 16" chart for the German 16".            

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users