6 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:43 AM

I notice on the deluxe RN SDS that there are three symbols for radar; -, + & =. I understand from looking at the RN Dark Acquisition what - & + are. But, what is =? Which line on the Dark Acquisition do you use to resolve it, - or +?

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

I notice on the deluxe RN SDS that there are three symbols for radar; -, + & =. I understand from looking at the RN Dark Acquisition what - & + are. But, what is =? Which line on the Dark Acquisition do you use to resolve it, - or +?

Unfortunately, the British "=" radar is an invention of the author of the British logs (and was not caught until after the logs had been released).  And is not represented on the Acquisition table.  Without knowing what capacity it is supposed to represent, I'd use the "-" line instead.  

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Not a recrimination, just a query. I've been told that = represents very early forms of radar that are less capable and less reliable than radar represented by -. Apparently, I should use the - line as per your instructions, but with a D20 instead of a D12. The range is limited to 16,000 yards for search radar and 8,000 yards for FC radar. In addition, when ever the ship bearing = radar fires, it should also roll a d6 and on a result of 6 all = radar is disabled for the remainder of the engagement, but considered repaired (vacuum tubes replaced and what not) for a subsequent engagement. As usual per GQ, simple, but elegant and easy to resolve cleanly. I really like these rules. The stuff you guys add in the way of supplements and what not, the better they get; kudos.

#4 Frank

Frank

Private

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

I wonder if this would apply to the radar first fitted to the Brooklyn class cruisers. The Boise was "borrowed" by the Asiatic Fleet. I read a note by Adm. Glassford that the radar was used for navigation. I think they were all refitted with SG by the time of the Solomons campaign. I have a couple of What if's" I'd like to try.

#5 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

My understanding is that both Boise and Phoenix at this point (Late 41/Early 42) in the war had = FC radar, but not SW radar as far as gaming purposes go. In that case, their max range would be 8,000 yards and roll a D6 every time you fire. A result of 6 on the D6 knocks all your = radar, FC & SW out for the remainder of the engagement, but it is considered repaired at the start of a subsequent engagement during a campaign turn. Of course, none of that makes up for the fact that you have no flash-less powder at this point in the war and are self-illuminated every time you fire.

#6 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

G' Day Frank and Lt Clark,

Your comments relate to the upcoming ABDA Campaign and the rule added for the early "R =" radar sets.  First of all, it was not an error on the RN Logs published in GQ 3.3 as they relate to the British R - radars such as the Tp 284 and 285 used for the majority of WW II.  Other nations had primitive R = radars, but only a few RN or USN ships did and then, not for long. Hence, R = radars weren't covered on the RN and USN charts.  The ABDA campaign, however, has a couple of ships with very early, primitive radars (or RDF as they were called then) or local New Zealand developed equivalents.   Accordingly, we are adding a rule to cover them as commented above.  One significant issue with those early sets was how fragile they were to the shock of firing, etc.  Vacuum tubes, fuses and wiring, etc. were easily fixed once the firing stopped, but the early techs had to wait until things quieted down to sort out the fault. Much to the frustration of their captains and gunnery officers.  Hence the D6 roll.

For the USN, the Phoenix clearly still had the primitive R = Mk 1 FA fire control radar in early 1942 as did Boise.  Both were refitted with the R - equivalent Mk 3 FC fire control radars in the first half of 1942, but after the fall of Java and the Indies.  The Boise was when she returned stateside from the Netherlands East Indies to have her grounding damage repaired.  Thus, she had a full complement of radars, including SG by the time she saw action at Guadalcanal.  Interestingly, when repaired after that, she  then became one of the first to receive the R+ equivalent Mk 8 fire control radars and AW upgrades.  Hence, Boise and Phoenix are the only ships that might have seen action with the early FA radar.   The ABDA campaign provides a chance to try them out.

LONNIE

#7 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

They will if the Japanese don't keep running from them. Of course, now the Japanese are down to it and must complete the next five invasions to win; so running is no longer an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users