• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobg

bobg

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

I'm new to AoS gaming and been looking for a small ship action rule set without Hex play.  

Very interested in Post Captain

1.  I plan to use the Waartisian 1/900 ships - will it be difficult to adjust scale or allot of calculations for them to be used (gauges, ranges, movement)?

2.  How many pages are the rules?  Trying to decide if I will buy download or have a hard copy sent.  If I ask for hard copy will the download copy be available right away?

3.  For beginners like me is there a basic rule set included or can some rules be ignored to make it not overwhelming and fun?

#2 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Corporal

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Locationnear Houston, Texas

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

I will try and answer your questions, but please keep in mind I'm nothing more than a satisfied customer.  I'm sure one of the ODGW staff will be by later in the New Year to give you some better answers than I can.

1)  First of all, the War Artisan ships are really beautiful, so good for you!  If I were just starting out I would probably go with those instead of metal ones.  As for gauges and whatnot, the ones included with the rules are 1/1200 and 1/2400.  However, in the download sections there are gauges for 1/3000, 1/2000 and 1/1000 scale.  I would probably just use the 1/1000 ones without any changes to learn the system.  If you want to be a purist though, you could just print out the 1/1000 gauges at 111% and have everything in your scale.

2)  There's not an easy answer to this, because the rules are broken down into different sections and then there are the charts and ship sheets.  The rules are about 90 pages, not counting charts and ship sheets.  The rules themselves can be printed in black and white and, in my opinion, you don't lose anything.  For games though, the charts and ship sheets are best in color.  Personally, I ordered the PDF and not the hard copy because I couldn't wait to get my hot little hands on it when they came out.  Having access to a printer that I can run copies on for free definitely helped me make that decision.  As I bought the download, I don't know how ODGW handles buying the hard copy.  Sorry, but I can't help you there.

3)  The rules are broken down into sections, as I mentioned above.  The "Basic Rules" section (that's what it's titled) will get you to gaming.  Within that section, it's broken down even further into subsections like Movement, Sailing, Gunnery and the like.  The rules assume that you have no sailing experience at all, and pretty much take you by the hand.  Also, the sailing model in this game is specifically designed to make learning it as easy as possible.  As with any rules, some sections could have been written a bit more clearly, but you can always get an answer here on the forum.  It's easy to dip your toe in a little at a time until suddenly, you feel like a ship's captain.  When I have run the game at conventions, players pick up the basics within a turn or so.

The nice thing about AOS gaming is that you can get started with just two ships.  Be forewarned though; you're liable to find yourself wanting more and more ships until one day, you want to do something crazy like refight the battle of Trafalgar.  You will need a different set of rules to run a large battle like that.  Welcome aboard!

• RazorMind likes this

#3 bobg

bobg

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Thanks Brian for your response

I decided to order the printed version and glad I did.  Going to try first use the 1/1200 scale ships on the download page to learn the game.  Single ship scenarios look to be a good place to start

I'm struggling with the movement and turn gauges.  I'm a very visual learner and wonder if there is any game play tutorials of 4 or 5 turns with pictures using the gauges and logs.  Does any one know were I can find one?

Maybe an AAR out there somewhere with them?

Didn't see any out in the download  folders

Thanks for your help 

#4 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Corporal

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

Well, I went back through the pages and photos on my blog, and I don't really have any specific pictures of the gauges in use.  I'm kind of busy the next few days, but if you'll be patient with me I will try to set up some photos using the gauges and post them on this thread.

#5 bobg

bobg

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Brian - that would be greatly appriciate. 

Hopefully someone else will also chime in

#6 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Corporal

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:15 AM

I haven't forgotten you.  Unfortunately, "kind of busy" turned out to be a bit of an understatement.  After getting everything around here fixed, we are going out of town tomorrow so it will be another week or two before I can take the photos.  I WILL do it, though.

BWW

PS: What are you looking for?  Basic things like move and turns, or more complex stuff like tacking?

#7 bobg

bobg

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

No Problem Brian I know how lief gets in the way of the fun things

Basics - Movement and Turning to start

I have everything cut out including the ships counters to start.  I think I can figure out the turning piece but struggling with the 4.4 acceleration and deceleration rules  when is it allowed and what is the max/min movement allowed under the rule.  Read few times and not sure I'm getting it.  A written example with movement factors would be great.

enjoying the details of the rules just need to start playing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users