6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:42 AM

First, a very original, innovative approach! One might say more of a linked-scenario generation system than a traditional (i.e. map driven) campaign, but that very aspect and specifically the elimination of the book keeping that goes with it might just make it more likely to complete the campaign. The only hindrance to completion might be if the Japanese don’t hold Henderson at the end of Turn 5, will they be interested in playing Turn 6? It might not be historically accurate, but allowing them an Assault CD on the last turn might still give them hope. Anyway, I’m anxious to give it a try!Morale: First, I’m very interested to try the Force Morale rules. That being said, I noticed in the Savo Island scenario the IJN is rated Veteran and the Allies rated Green. This is probably sound for the individual ships, but I wonder about the overall Force Morale (both in this scenario and the overall campaign). There were so many instances, including Savo Island, of the IJN withdrawing when on the verge of a potentially tremendous (or perhaps a better word would be strategic) victory. Engagement H provides a bit of an incentive for IJN Supply missions to withdraw in the face of somewhat serious surface opposition, but that’s it (that I saw). I also wonder about Morale during the course of the campaign. Does the IJN remain Veteran throughout? How long do the Allies remain Green? I wouldn’t think it would be forever, but when do they change? It could be something tied to each ship, but that would be a bookkeeping pain. It could also be tied to Halsey and/or Scott’s arrival (or maybe that gets them to Veteran?).On page 4, the second sentence under Carrier Group (CG) says "Battleships, heavy cruisers and/or light carriers (CVL’s): at least two, with a maximum of six.” Is that really light carriers (CVLs), or is it supposed to be light cruisers (CLs)?Also on page 4, it states “Note: There are restrictions on the gun and torpedo capabilities of Japanese destroyers serving as transports, depending on the tactical situation.” The only restriction in GQ3 I’m aware of is the need for the IJN supply DDs to land their reload torpedoes. Is there a gunnery restriction I missed?A couple of USN OOB (or actually reinforcement) comments/questions: As I read it on page 13, USS Boise and USS Juneau are only available in the September turn as reinforcements for that turn only. This seems odd as USS Boise was at Cape Esperance in October, and USS Juneau was at (and sunk after) the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in November.Clarification: For Engagement B, the blue text says “1-9 = target located.” Under that it says “Each wave has 1-11 chance of finding the target.” Is one of those a misprint, or is it a 1-11 (modified) just to locate the target, and then another roll of 1-9 per wave to actually attack?

#2 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

co_diver wrote:

First, a very original, innovative approach! One might say more of a linked-scenario generation system than a traditional (i.e. map driven) campaign, but that very aspect and specifically the elimination of the book keeping that goes with it might just make it more likely to complete the campaign. The only hindrance to completion might be if the Japanese don’t hold Henderson at the end of Turn 5, will they be interested in playing Turn 6? It might not be historically accurate, but allowing them an Assault CD on the last turn might still give them hope. Anyway, I’m anxious to give it a try!

Thank you for your kind words.We thought about Turn Six, but historical concerns did mitigate the chances significantly. The Kaigun player can still pull out a Tactical victory by forcing the Allies into a draw and winning with a low Index. It is low odds, but possible.

Morale: First, I’m very interested to try the Force Morale rules. That being said, I noticed in the Savo Island scenario the IJN is rated Veteran and the Allies rated Green. This is probably sound for the individual ships, but I wonder about the overall Force Morale (both in this scenario and the overall campaign). There were so many instances, including Savo Island, of the IJN withdrawing when on the verge of a potentially tremendous (or perhaps a better word would be strategic) victory. Engagement H provides a bit of an incentive for IJN Supply missions to withdraw in the face of somewhat serious surface opposition, but that’s it (that I saw). I also wonder about Morale during the course of the campaign. Does the IJN remain Veteran throughout? How long do the Allies remain Green? I wouldn’t think it would be forever, but when do they change? It could be something tied to each ship, but that would be a bookkeeping pain. It could also be tied to Halsey and/or Scott’s arrival (or maybe that gets them to Veteran?).

I did not get into rating the morale of the ship's at various points throughout the campaign since this is necessarily a subjective subject, best left to the players themselves. As to Force Morale, you hit upon the way it is supposed to work exactly. It is an Optional Rule, so you are free to set the values where you think they should be. Please share with us your conclusions!

On page 4, the second sentence under Carrier Group (CG) says "Battleships, heavy cruisers and/or light carriers (CVL’s): at least two, with a maximum of six.” Is that really light carriers (CVLs), or is it supposed to be light cruisers (CLs)?

Good catch! Amend the line above "...one to two fleet carriers (CV's) or CVL's and/or, if Japanese, 1-2 CVL's ..."Battleships and/or cruisers: at least two..."

Also on page 4, it states “Note: There are restrictions on the gun and torpedo capabilities of Japanese destroyers serving as transports, depending on the tactical situation.” The only restriction in GQ3 I’m aware of is the need for the IJN supply DDs to land their reload torpedoes. Is there a gunnery restriction I missed?

Half the guns and half the torpedo mounts are rendered ineffective due to supplies and men on deck.

A couple of USN OOB (or actually reinforcement) comments/questions: As I read it on page 13, USS Boise and USS Juneau are only available in the September turn as reinforcements for that turn only. This seems odd as USS Boise was at Cape Esperance in October, and USS Juneau was at (and sunk after) the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in November.

And they can still be there, if chosen as a Command Decision. Scarce resources need allocating. The Kaigun is in the same situation early.

Clarification: For Engagement B, the blue text says “1-9 = target located.” Under that it says “Each wave has 1-11 chance of finding the target.” Is one of those a misprint, or is it a 1-11 (modified) just to locate the target, and then another roll of 1-9 per wave to actually attack?

The blue text is modified by blue text, so the 1-9 die roll is modified by the numbers immediately to its right. If the target is located, then the waves of aircraft are set up, and they each roll. On a '12,' they fail to find the target. This is why it is sometimes a good idea to put your attacks in two waves.Good questions!

#3 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply!Regarding restrictions on IJN DDs being used for supply, I have word-searched the .pdf copies of the GQ3 rules, Amendment 1 rules, and the Solomons booklet. The only thing I can find is in the GQ3 rules under 4.7.1 Cargo, 5th bullet: "Japanese DDs can transport floating drum cargoes by landing their reload torpedoes." Can you reference where it says half the guns and half the torpedo mounts are rendered ineffective? I agree it is a reasonable restriction, I just can't find the reference!Regarding USS Boise and USS Juneau (and the other ships listed on page 13), maybe I'm missing something. The note says these ships are ONLY available this turn. To me that means you get them for the September turn, and then they go away. Is the intent that they are available for use in the September turn, like they would be if called out in the General Intelligence section? If so, I think the work "only" is erroneous.

#4 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

co_diver wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply!Regarding restrictions on IJN DDs being used for supply, I have word-searched the .pdf copies of the GQ3 rules, Amendment 1 rules, and the Solomons booklet. The only thing I can find is in the GQ3 rules under 4.7.1 Cargo, 5th bullet: "Japanese DDs can transport floating drum cargoes by landing their reload torpedoes." Can you reference where it says half the guns and half the torpedo mounts are rendered ineffective? I agree it is a reasonable restriction, I just can't find the reference!

These are the restrictions for use in The Solomons Campaign. There was a great deal of deck space taken up by cargo and men.

Regarding USS Boise and USS Juneau (and the other ships listed on page 13), maybe I'm missing something. The note says these ships are ONLY available this turn. To me that means you get them for the September turn, and then they go away. Is the intent that they are available for use in the September turn, like they would be if called out in the General Intelligence section? If so, I think the work "only" is erroneous.

This is one of those instances where a helpful hint confused more than helped someone. The reinforcement can only be chosen that turn, but the ships stay the whole game. I was trying to prompt players to be sure to think about taking the reinforcements, since they would not be able take them as reinforcements in subsequent turns.

#5 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

I finally found the reference to the IJN DDs in the Engagement F description. Not sure how I missed that the first time, or with my key-word search.OK, I see what you were trying to say with the note.

#6 Ken

Ken

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

A couple of questions:Since the IJN have to assign all their ships by squadron, flotllas etc and the rules for Carrier Groups state "one to two fleet carriers (CV's) and/or, if Japanese, one to two CVL's (see Notes, below)", how does the 2nd Carrier Squadron with its 3 CVL's sortie? It looks like you can have 1 or 2 CV's and/or 1 or 2 CVL's but not 3 CVL's.Does the IJN Taiyo have to sortie with the Yamato at all times? If so how can the Yamato be sent on a bombardment missin as you can't assign a CVL to that mission.Ken

#7 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

ken777engr wrote:

A couple of questions:Since the IJN have to assign all their ships by squadron, flotllas etc and the rules for Carrier Groups state "one to two fleet carriers (CV's) and/or, if Japanese, one to two CVL's (see Notes, below)", how does the 2nd Carrier Squadron with its 3 CVL's sortie? It looks like you can have 1 or 2 CV's and/or 1 or 2 CVL's but not 3 CVL's.Does the IJN Taiyo have to sortie with the Yamato at all times? If so how can the Yamato be sent on a bombardment missin as you can't assign a CVL to that mission.Ken

NO, see OoB "Japanese Forces at start—TRUK", p.23, at top. Taiyo may sortie with the 7th DesDiv and/or other ships, independently of Yamato. Likewise Yamato may deploy independently. Carriers did not go on bombardment missions. The rule about CVL's was to prevent players from putting all their carriers out at once in mega task forces that never would have happened in real life, you can sortie the 2nd Carrier Squadron together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users