• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Nielson

Kevin Nielson

Private

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

[file name=alaska.doc size=24576]https://www.odgw.com/images/fbfiles/files/alaska.doc[/file]This is a data log for the Alsaska that I put together. Please feel free to coment on it or use it if you like what you see.CheersKevin
  • sulu likes this

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:23 AM

Just a quick look, but the first thing I noticed: the secondaries should be laid out the same as a Cleveland or Baltimore - two of the turrets were centerline. Also, they should just be 5" (5"/38), not 5" AA (5"/25). Not sure they should have CL armor like the BBs, but instead again be "unarmored" like the Cleveland/Baltimores. I think there was another discussion somewhere on the forum about this.The USN AA factors files lists the AA at 10 (24). I didn't calculate it myself...The catapults should run fore and aft.Based on her standard displacement on the WWII Cruisers site, they should only have 6 hull boxes. This site also lists max speed at 33 knots vice 32.An argument could be made for BB hull armor, but I think I would lean toward BC as well.

#3 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

I stand corrected on the speed, WWII cruisers states "Trials, however, were disappointing, Alaska making only 32.71kts on 33,148 tons with 154,846shp." So 32 knots for normal operations is probably fine.One other comment: Is the lack of UE an oversight, or perhaps in regard to the lack of underwater protection?

#4 Kevin Nielson

Kevin Nielson

Private

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

[file name=alaska-188242b0b33af15992ae5894ea03c622.doc size=24576]https://www.odgw.com/images/fbfiles/files/alaska-188242b0b33af15992ae5894ea03c622.doc[/file]Hi again, I have made the corrections to the Alaska log. Any more coments plese feel free to send them on.CheersKevin

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:58 PM

Pretty much spot on; Good work! The only change I can see is to eliminate the secondary battery armor. The Alaska's secondaries were the same type and design used on the later cruisers (Cleveland/Baltimores) and not those used on the battleships. Additionally, according to Dulin/Garzke, they had 3 floatplanes assigned (although you could make a case for only 2 being aboard). As to unit engineering, most all later US designs (mid to late '30s forward) featured this (even the Fletcher class DDs). BTW, it is always a good idea to have multiple 'eyes' check out new ship logs. For example, during the editing of the deluxe logs, each page was reviewed at least 4 times by up to 3 different people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users