• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Nielson

Kevin Nielson

Private

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi, We had a situation in a game recently where a CA failed the moral. The ship is dead in the water with four engineering hits. I think that the crew would abandon ship in such a situation. Any thoughts from you guys?CheersTen four

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

I don't think I would agree, in game terms anyway. Engineering hits can be repaired. If you have 2 engineering hits any other hits are no-hits, meaning they have no effect. If the ship can pass its morale check the crew would fight to save the ship. A great example of this IMO would be the Yorktown at Midway. It took a lucky submarine to torpedo and sink her while she was being towed back to Pearl Harbor after surviving a severe battering form Japanese attacks.

#3 Kevin Nielson

Kevin Nielson

Private

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi, ok, I can see what you are saying. the damage control section 1.91, says that if the damage control role is a 9 or 10 the area is permently destroyed. This was our problem last night resulting with the CA dead in the water. Thats why we thought that the survivers would abandon ship.Does the rule for a second hit destroying an area only apply to the FAI game.CheersTen four

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Does the rule for a second hit destroying an area only apply to the FAI game.

Yes, currently this only applies to FAI. (Although you could apply it to GQ as well).

#5 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

Tenfour,Actually, multiple Engineering hits apply in GQ III as well as in FAI. This has been clarified in Amendment 1, rule Section 1,9,5. If you haven't seen it, this Amendment is available for download, free to all registered users. It contains a number of other clarifications and optional rules along with updated charts and Ship Turm Indicators for those who want to use optional rules.A ship that is DIW (Dead in the Water) due to destroyed engineering spaces can be towed if there are other friendly ships in the tactical area, making it unlikely the crew woiud abandon her, even with a morale failure. Of course, if her crew suffers a moral failure, all bets are off. I guess it depends on what the moral charge is for.LONNIE

#6 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

So fear causes turpitude? I did not know this. I thought it just reduced your morale ...I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass!

#7 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

Failing moral?Does that mean they started shooting survivors in the water?

#8 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Whoa,Next, somebody's gonn'a want add a Chaplain Factor for each ship.LONNIE

#9 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts