4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

I think I know the reason some aircraft are rated with ACE or Dogfight values of 0, instead of N/A. In order to initiate "Fighter Combat" (2.8.2, aka a Dogfight) the aircraft must have an actual numerical value, which includes 0. The 0 is for aircraft which can do this, albeit very poorly. An example might be the poor old P-400 at greater than Lvl 6, whose = rating reduces its ACE value from 2 to 0.So, how does an ACE of 0 work, when the Aerial CRT (Tactical or Campaign Air Ops) when there are only values of 1 - 7 on the right side of the table?

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

Still no answer huh?

#3 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

Co diver,Sorry; I missed this question somehow. My bad. Yes, the ACE of "0" is intended for a few special situations like aircraft of limited air combat capacity engaging a target with NST. The simple answer is that the upcoming Amendment 2 will include an AERIAL CRT with "0" ACE listed separately to make this clear for these situations, adjustments as you noted, and to allow these aircraft to dogfight if desired. The advisability of that is left to the formation commander.LONNIE

#4 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thanks!When is Amendment 2 expected?You're not changing all the Gunnery CRTs again are you?Dave

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

You're not changing all the Gunnery CRTs again are you?

There will be the addition of some additional torpedo range bands (long range, IIRC) for certain torpedoes. These are strictly optional add-ons, however. Additionally, for the air operations, a new 'Small Bomb' category is being added (this will not impact WWII games, however, since most (if not all) WWII aircraft are rated to carry at least a medium bombload).

When is Amendment 2 expected?

Hopefully, by late summer.A short word about the Amendments and Updates: As with all such areas, the naval history field is constantly changing and updating. As an example, in my own research library (which fills a 20' x 8' wall of bookshelves, plus some 30+ years of periodicals stored elsewhere, and many gigs of downloaded files stored on multiple disks; and Lonnie's library makes mine look puny) maybe a dozen hardbacks were published prior to the release of GQ1 (1971). And probably 10%-15% have been published since the release of GQ3 (2006). What this all means is that there is a wealth of new information constantly coming out that may directly impact the game rules; sometimes minor, sometimes profound. Additionally, gamer feedback (from the forum and other sources) is an important source; several changes in Amendment 1 resulted from such feedback (yes, we do actually read the forum!). Lonnie's and ODGW's desire is to have the rules be 'live' and reflect the best information available through timely updates and amendments. And while this sometimes means printing out new charts and logs (and that applies to me as well, and yes, it can be be a hassle), the overall goal is to provide as good and accurate a product as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users