• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeffery plaine

jeffery plaine

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hello all, As i am new to MP i have a few basing questions. i want to statrt a USMC force but as the data book reads i need this as a stand : rifle/bar+flamthrower+bazooka. my question is how would i make a stand of ths? put a fig of each type on the stand? plz healp

#2 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

shooty04,Can you give me the page reference for the Databook so I can investigate this? Typically you put two to three figures on a stand, unless using a ¾" x ¾" stand, where you could fit four figures.Cheers,Gregory

#3 jeffery plaine

jeffery plaine

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hello and thanks for the response. Page number is 53.09.22 under USMC inf btn.

#4 Mark 1

Mark 1

Sergeant

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

shooty04 wrote:

... rifle/bar+flamthrower+bazooka. my question is how would i make a stand of ths? put a fig of each type on the stand?

Mein Panzer abstracts the infantry stand a bit. One "standard" base = one stand. So you don't have to worry about exactly what is on that stand.In truth, the game plays just fine no matter what figures are on what stand. Just come up with a means that lets YOU know what their equipment is. You could make a note on paper about which stand has what kit, or place some form of "chits" with the stands to identify what they are carrying. Still, I find it useful to place items on the stand that will help me distinguish their composition. But this is mostly for convenience. Here are some examples of how I have approached basing my figs:My Romanians:I built this force after I had settled on MP as my ruleset. So I was able to base them with convenience of MP game play in mind.In general I base as follows: 4 men to a base = full squad (2 hp)2 men to a base = support stand / half-squad (1hp)3 men to a base = special purpose squadPosted ImageA standard squad has four figures. Two riflemen (in this case one is tossing a grenade), an LMG and a gunner's No.2. This tells me it is a rifle squad with LMG.Posted ImageA tank-hunter team (vanatori de carri) is a "support team" under MP rules, that is equipped with demolition charges. I have modelled mine as a two man base, one with SMG, one carrying a Tellermine (this was kit-bashed by adding an aircraft nose-wheel from the bits bin to a bent-armed grenade tosser).Posted ImageA flame thrower team was similary constructed as a "support team" under MP rules, but in this case one which is equipped with an M35 flame thrower (kit-bashed by adding tanks to the back of an SMG gunner who had his clip clipped, and had a bit of thread added as hose to the tanks).Posted ImagePlatoon command squads are three figures. I consider this a support team (1 hp). One officer, one NCO (kit-bashed by clipping the 'nade and bending the arms of a grenade-tosser) and a rifleman prone with binoculars (had too many not to use them). The MP rules suggest seperate command bases. I prefer to base platoon command with the squads, as that's how they typically moved/deployed (and it reduces complexity on the game board just a bit), and only set off higher level commands to their own support-team bases. But ... the Romainian officers were a bit of a stand-offish bunch, so for my Romanians even the platoon command is seperate. Could/should be 2 to a base, but hey, I had lots of extra prone binoc figures.Posted ImageTo create an "HQ" I also have commo "support team" bases. In this case a field-phone team, which consists of two prone figures, one with a wire-spool backpack, the other with a phone (kit-bashed from the over-abundant light mortar teams). This helps me to reflect a realistic limitation of Romanian commo -- no radios in the infantry front line forces. So the commo team stays put if/when the commander moves with the troops, and he looses commo capability.Here for comparison, are some of my Italians. This force also was constructed after I started playing MP. (They are in the Continental uniforms as used in Russia and Sicily, rather than the Tropical uniforms as used in the Western desert).Posted ImageHere an entire platoon is pictured in the center (with a section from the next platoon in the photo too). Italian infantry formations were organized rather differently from most other WW2 armies. The platoon was broken into two sections -- each with two rifle squads, and a squad with two LMGs. That is reflected in my basing, with each section having two 4-man rifle squads (no LMGs) and two seperate 2-man LMG support teams (might also have put both LMGs into a 4-man base, but they didn't all fit on the pennies I use as stands). In this army I placed the platoon CO with a squad (designated by the three stripes on the back of the base). Behind this platoon is a dedicated company command squad (two tripes), and a two-man medical support team.Hope that helps.-Mark 1

#5 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

Totally Awsome!! Well done Mark!!--Kenny

#6 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Yes Mark, Awesome job! And to think these are 1/300th scale!Shooty04, as was noted earlier, a squad stand is typically 4 men or more to a stand. In your case you could put one figure each of the weapons on your stand and could use a slightly larger stand if necessary. It boils down to what ever works for you and your game as basing in not critical to the play of the game.

#7 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

Mark did a great job on his miniatures. We also use the four figures for a basic squad, with a machine gunner if that is a Rifle/LMG squad. Mortars get two figures for small, three figures for larger ones. MG stands are typically two per stand, as are HQ units. It all works out well.Cheers,Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users