• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Angus Konstam

Angus Konstam

Private

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:51 AM

Gentlemen,I was pulling together ship cards to cover Coronel and the Falklands (1914), but I've encountered a problem. Does anyone know how the four 4.7-inch guns were arranged on the aux. cruiser Otranto? SImilarly I can't find out if the German colliers BAden and Santa Isabel were armed - not that it would have done them much good of course! Any help would be greatly appreciated.Penned overlooking Scapa FlowAngus

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

As close as I can tell from photos, it appears she carried her guns on the broadside (4 each side) on the well deck fore and aft of her main structure.

#3 William Cira

William Cira

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationManassas, Virginia

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Has anyone created a log sheet for the Otranto that they can share?

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

None that I'm aware of. That said, I'd give her 7 hull boxes (speed marked off 18, 16, 14, 12, 8, 5, 3) with 4 4.7" on each broadside without DCT (local control only).
  • Tu Tran likes this

#5 Tom Oxley

Tom Oxley

Private

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationDayton, OH

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

I have the blank ship form made up in Excel and put the Otranto together there in a draft, then made up the pdf from that. I'm also a newbie to these, so you may find it lacks a thing or two. It's not a heavily armed ship, but it still feels like somethings missing after I put the guns in and the hull boxes. I gave it the lowest armor rating available. If you have any changes to make, please let me know. Hoping to get the Coronel scenario on a table to learn the system in the next few weeks.

Tom

Attached Files

• Tu Tran likes this

#6 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

You've pretty much nailed it. The only thing I'd change is the armor rating; I'd move it from DD to AC to better reflect that she was a converted passenger liner. But other than that, you got it right on the button.
  • Tu Tran likes this

#7 Tom Oxley

Tom Oxley

Private

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationDayton, OH

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

Excellent! I've updated to AC class armor and am attaching the updated PDF for anyone needing it. My first contribution to the cause. :)

Tom Oxley

Attached Files

• Tu Tran likes this

#8 William Cira

William Cira

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

This is great guys! Thank you so much! This will come in handy for me real soon.

#9 William Cira

William Cira

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

One more question on HMS Otranto for anybody out there. Is it fair to assume that she would have been re-painted grey for war time?

#10 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

She probably received her overall gray when she went into yards to receive her guns. Most of the period photos seem to indicate this.

#11 simanton

simanton

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

No data but reason to assume any guns on Baden or Santa Isabel. I believe they were both "hired on the spot" to serve as von Spee's supply train. Additionally, there would have been no opportunity to arm them and no source of guns other than by stripping from his own warships.

#12 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

No data but reason to assume any guns on Baden or Santa Isabel. I believe they were both "hired on the spot" to serve as von Spee's supply train. Additionally, there would have been no opportunity to arm them and no source of guns other than by stripping from his own warships.

Correct. According to the limited source material, there is no evidence that these ships received any weapons.

#13 Jormungand

Jormungand

Private

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

I'm a bit late to the party however I did quite a bit of research for a Coronel-Falklands scenario and put together several ship cards for ships present there or in the area, I thought I would upload them incase anyone was interested.

Sincerely;

Erich

P.S. they are png files which I find easier to work with however they are still easily printable.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users