• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

Someone questioned the number of flights available for each US carrier and the math involved, so I have double-checked and posted a corrected OoB for the USN, allowing for the finger four tactic, and the fewer flights that would be available as a result. The advantage of the finger four flight is having the two elements available for independent action, although they all are technically one flight.

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

Umm, I think you have it backwards. The "tactical flexibility and superiority" of the finger four formation means each GQ3 flight represents a 2-plane element, not a flight of 4. Thus you divide the number of aircraft by 2 and end up with more flights, not less.See 2.0 amended Finger Four Flight on page 5-4.

#3 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

I will check with the author and if necessary, I will further amend the OoB.

#4 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

co_diver wrote:

Umm, I think you have it backwards. The "tactical flexibility and superiority" of the finger four formation means each GQ3 flight represents a 2-plane element, not a flight of 4. Thus you divide the number of aircraft by 2 and end up with more flights, not less.See 2.0 amended Finger Four Flight on page 5-4.

Actually there are four planes per flight with two elements that may be able to act independently, so the OoB was correct as originally posted. for example, twenty-four fighters would make six flights with twelve elements, This is the official ruling.

#5 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

I agree the original OB had it right in that the number of flights was increased, using the optional "finger four" rule, since you would divide by 2 instead of 3; however, I still think there are errors.The following assumes that when dividing by 3 to determine the number for flights for the "basic" rule, that a remainder of 1 is rounded down and 2 is rounded up - this seems to be the most used case. When dividing by 2 to determine the number of flights using the "finger four optional rule", I will round down:Enterprise:29 F4Fs are listed as 8[16] flights. Should be 10[14].35 SBDs are listed as 12 flights. Correct (note this is rounded up in the OB, not by me).16 TBFs are listed as 5 flights. Correct (note this is rounded down in the OB, not by me).Saratoga:28 F4Fs are listed as 8[16] flights. Should be 9[14].33 SBDs are listed as 12 flights. Should be 11.13 TBFs are listed as 5 flights. Should be 4 (based on the rounding remainder of 1).Wasp:25 F4Fs are listed as 7[14] flights. Should be 8[12].28 SBDs are listed as 10 flights. Should be 9 (based on the rounding remainder of 1).10 TBFs are listed as 3 flights. Correct (note this is rounded down in the OB, not by me).Hornet:32 F4Fs are listed as 8[16] flights. Should be 11[16].33 SBDs are listed as 12 flights. Should be 11.16 TBFs are listed as 5 flights. Correct (note this is rounded down in the OB, not by me).Having input all of that, it occurs to me that maybe you're dividing by 4 for the American fighters? If so, that may explain a great deal of our disconnect (and one I don't agree with, but that's my opinion). If so there is still at least one obvious math error for Saratoga: 28 F4Fs would be 7[14] not 8[14]. And Enterprise and Wasp each have a remaonder of 1 that's rounded up?

#6 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

co_diver wrote:[quote]I agree the original OB had it right in that the number of flights was increased, using the optional "finger four" rule, since you would divide by 2 instead of 3; however, I still think there are errors.The following assumes that when dividing by 3 to determine the number for flights for the "basic" rule, that a remainder of 1 is rounded down and 2 is rounded up - this seems to be the most used case. When dividing by 2 to determine the number of flights using the "finger four optional rule", I will round down:[/quote]No there are four planes per flight in the finger four formation, That is the way it is done, irregardless of whether you think it is an error.[quote]Enterprise:29 F4Fs are listed as 8[16] flights. Should be 10[14].35 SBDs are listed as 12 flights. Correct (note this is rounded up in the OB, not by me).16 TBFs are listed as 5 flights. Correct (note this is rounded down in the OB, not by me).Saratoga:28 F4Fs are listed as 8[16] flights. Should be 9[14].33 SBDs are listed as 12 flights. Should be 11.13 TBFs are listed as 5 flights. Should be 4 (based on the rounding remainder of 1).Wasp:25 F4Fs are listed as 7[14] flights. Should be 8[12].28 SBDs are listed as 10 flights. Should be 9 (based on the rounding remainder of 1).10 TBFs are listed as 3 flights. Correct (note this is rounded down in the OB, not by me).[/quote]Hornet:32 F4Fs are listed as 8[16] flights. Should be 11[16].33 SBDs are listed as 12 flights. Should be 11.16 TBFs are listed as 5 flights. Correct (note this is rounded down in the OB, not by me).Having input all of that, it occurs to me that maybe you're dividing by 4 for the American fighters? If so, that may explain a great deal of our disconnect (and one I don't agree with, but that's my opinion). If so there is still at least one obvious math error for Saratoga: 28 F4Fs would be 7[14] not 8[14]. And Enterprise and Wasp each have a remaonder of 1 that's rounded up?[/quote]Yes, dividing by four is correct,for the finger four flight. You may have your opinion, but it is incorrect. Extra planes would not form flights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users