• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pyruse

pyruse

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

In the WW2 rules, a main turret which takes a penetrating hit is out of action, but in FAI, there is a (small) chance of repairing it. What is the logic behind this? Surely a penetrating hit on a turret is not repairable in the timescale of a battle?
Are there instances of turrets being penetrated and then put back into action? If not, what is the basis for this?

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

In the WW2 rules, a main turret which takes a penetrating hit is out of action, but in FAI, there is a (small) chance of repairing it. What is the logic behind this? Surely a penetrating hit on a turret is not repairable in the timescale of a battle?
Are there instances of turrets being penetrated and then put back into action? If not, what is the basis for this?

The rationale behind this rule has to do with the substantial differences in turret designs from WWI to WWII. The earlier designs tended to be simpler and more robust. By WWII, turret designs included far more electrical and hydraulic systems that were susceptible damage due to shock. WWI designs had far fewer such systems (and far fewer things that could go wrong). Consequently, hits that would disable a WWII turret would not necessarily permanently disable a simpler WWI turret.

Also, a 'penetration' does not necessarily mean the shell has actually entered the turret/barbette. Such a hit represents that the shell has sufficient power to cause some sort of damage that disables the turret (in fact, such damage was more often shock related).

#3 William Cira

William Cira

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationManassas, Virginia

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

I have been running games with the FAI rules for about a year now at the HMGS East conventions. Even though I did not ask the question, I am glad that I now have an answer. It is a question that comes up frequently because several of the people who sign up for my games are more familiar with GQ3 than FAI. Now that I have the explanation, I can see that it makes perfect sense! Thanks Coastal!

#4 John Shaw

John Shaw

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

Yes, good to know the background, as we have just been trying FAI in the last few weeks and only noticed the Turret repair on the charts.

Regarding the way the rules are written about this, it is quite clear and consitent in FAI. However, in GQ3 (version 3.3) section 1.7.3 Damage Descriptions - Main Armament it says "All forward or main armament boxes should receive one hit before any receive a second hit." Why is this in GQ3 when a second hit does nothing?
Confused me when I first read the GQ3 rules because it seems to imply that there is a reason for a second hit.
Or is this wording for those that randomly roll dice to see which turret is hit, to confirm that each turret must take a hit in turn until they are all hit. In other words, you cannot hit 'A' turret 3 times before 'B' turret is knocked out?

Cheers,
John
Cheers,
John Shaw
www.nwa.org.au

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Yes, good to know the background, as we have just been trying FAI in the last few weeks and only noticed the Turret repair on the charts.

Regarding the way the rules are written about this, it is quite clear and consitent in FAI. However, in GQ3 (version 3.3) section 1.7.3 Damage Descriptions - Main Armament it says "All forward or main armament boxes should receive one hit before any receive a second hit." Why is this in GQ3 when a second hit does nothing?
Confused me when I first read the GQ3 rules because it seems to imply that there is a reason for a second hit.
Or is this wording for those that randomly roll dice to see which turret is hit, to confirm that each turret must take a hit in turn until they are all hit. In other words, you cannot hit 'A' turret 3 times before 'B' turret is knocked out?

Cheers,
John

Possibly the wording could been better, but the intent in GQ3 is that all main battery boxes have to receive one hit before you start counting additional hits (which in this case would be 'bouncing the rubble') against the main battery. So if you have a four turret ship that has three turrets out, the next main battery hit must hit the last turret (it can't hit any the other already knocked out turrets).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users