• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Last Mate

Last Mate

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

In a night action, when a ship fires without flashless powder, it illuminates itself. This qualifies as automatic acquisition for all enemy ships that can see it (as does all illumination) in the general rules. If you use flashless powder, does the two column shift to the left on the dark acquisition table still apply? In the optional night acquisition rules the rule states that illuminated ships get the two column shift and not automatic acquisition. I am confused. When does illumination (by various types) cause a ship to be automatically acquired and when does the two column shift to the left apply? 

#2 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

G' Day Last Mate,

Good question. This is an area that can at first seem a bit confusing.  

In the basic Surface Ops rules, searchlights, starshells, aircraft flares and fires illuminate ships per rule Section 1,12.3 and the rules for each of these cases.  And, illumination means automatic acquisition.  Gun flashes, however, are less than full illumination and result in a two column shift LEFT on the ACQUISITION table per rule Section 1.11.2 (pg 1-17) rather than automatic illumination. 

Therefore, gun flashes from a firing ship would result in a two column shift when using flashless powder, but full illumination (and automatic acquisition) when using non-flashless powder per optional rule Section 1.12.10 (pg 5-5).  This was a significant problem for USN task forces in many of the Solomons night actions when they lacked flashless powder or only had limited quantities available.  For example, it is often cited as a major factor contributing to the loss to USS Helena in July 1943.  The Italian Navy also had this disadvantage in night actions against the British in the Mediterranean.

Hopefully, this makes the distinction clearer and provides for cases of both flashless and non flashless powder being used in a scenario.

LONNIE 

#3 Last Mate

Last Mate

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:31 AM

Hey Lonnie (again)

Thanks again. Yes these rules can be a bit confusing at first, and second, and sometimes even third.   : )   Thanks once again for clearing that up.

#4 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:36 AM

I find that the above rule consistently forces me to deploy my destroyers forward so that I can use their range advantage (US 5" vs IJN 5") to illuminate the Japanese with star shell while my heavies remain outside 15,000 yards. That allows my New Orleans class to pound Japanese heavy cruisers with near impunity but the down side is that my destroyers are much closer and the 2 column shift for the gun flashes from their firing star shell just about guarantees that they will be "acquired" and shot up.

But, that is what smoke is for. So light them up, take your lumps, make smoke and turn away. Send in the next division and do it again. If you don't get your share of ones and tens before you run out of destroyers to illuminate withdraw and live to fight another day. Remember, if this a TSC fight that three turns of enemy fire coupled with acquiring all the enemy ships counts as having engaged the enemy. You can now withdraw if you have lost the advantage and the Japanese will have to abort also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users