• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Williams

Robert Williams

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

Light wind conditions result in fractional movement factors: for example, in a Force 2 wind a ship gets ⅓ of its movement—which for ships with a Battle Sail speed of 8 and 5 (as we had in our game today), results in reduced speeds of 2.666 and 1.666 respectively. If you have to calculate an Advance for them, multiplying 2.666 by .25, you get .666, and dividing 1.666 by .5, you get (I think!) five-sixths. These are rather difficult calculations to be obliged to perform during a game, especially in one’s head. Ought they not to be rounded at some point? Also, I presume that all MF’s for gusts and eddies, acceleration, deceleration, backing sail, etc. should be added to the vessel’s base movement rate before fractionally reducing it: e.g. if a 6th Rate with a Battle Sail movement rate of, say, 8 is sailing in a light wind and has a local gust or eddy that adds 1 to her movement rate, presumably you would add the 1 and then reduce the resulting 9 to 3, rather than reducing 8 to 2.666 MF’s and adding 1? Thanks! By the way, I think this is by far the best set of Age-of-Sail rules I've ever seen!

#2 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:16 PM

Good question, do we round up or down as fractional MF does not work in your example it seems to me.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#3 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

When calculating the adjusted MFs due to Weather Effects, round down to the nearest 1/2 MF (the Movement gauges are marked off in 1/2 MF increments).  The same would apply when calculating the advance for turning.  

'Gusts and eddys' additions/subtractions are done after calculating the adjusted MFs.  These are highly localized wind shifts that are independent of the overall weather condition. 

#4 Robert Williams

Robert Williams

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification regarding gusts and eddies and—most important—what to do about fractions; but what about acceleration, deceleration, and backing sail? Should those be added in before or after adjusting for wind conditions?

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification regarding gusts and eddies and—most important—what to do about fractions; but what about acceleration, deceleration, and backing sail? Should those be added in before or after adjusting for wind conditions?

These would be added in before adjusting for wind conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users