3 replies to this topic

#1 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

OK, had a collision today and on the damage it lists SAILS.  I could not find anywhere in the book or the charts how to resolve this or what it meant exactly?  Which sail?  short for sailor?  

On gun factors, do you round up or down?

Appreciate any clarification.

Adam

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

"OK, had a collision today and on the damage it lists SAILS.  I could not find anywhere in the book or the charts how to resolve this or what it meant exactly?  Which sail?  short for sailor? "

The 'Sails' refer to the loss of a particular sail.  You would roll on the Spar Table and lose the sail indicated.  This essentially represents the spar holding that sail being shook loose and failing to the deck or overboard.

"On gun factors, do you round up or down?"

Actually, both.  Since one gun box represents 3 guns, you would round up or down as needed.  For example:  a 17 gun broadside would be represented by 6 boxes (round up) while a 16 gun broadside is represented by 5 boxes (round down). 

#3 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

on gun factors, I meant the crew factors needed to man a broadside.  so, say there are 5 boxes of 32 pounders on a 5th rate, so, 1 3/4 factors times 5 equals 8.75, so is that 8 crew factors or 9 to man the broadside?  Thanks again for the speedy responses and clarifications.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#4 Robert Williams

Robert Williams

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

I have some additional questions concerning collisions and damage.

1. When ships collide or foul, rather than grappling, do you use the Mast Free Table or the Ungrapple Table to cut the two vessels free?

2. If two ships pass within 25 yards of each other, but one is drifting and the other is moving, do you roll for a collision?

3. The Critical Hit on a die roll of 2 results in 3 Rigging and a Sprung Mast. If this is the first rigging hit and no more are incurred before the Repair Phase, am I correct in believing that if the ship passes the Sprung Mast Test, the mast is automatically considered no longer sprung, as the vessel only has 3 Rigging hits or do you still have to roll to repair the mast?

4. Can you incur jib boom damage in a Collision? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users