1 reply to this topic

#1 William Owen

William Owen

Private

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSoca, Canelones, Uruguay, South America

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

I found a Command Decision campaign published in The Courier #62 about Milne Bay campaign. The appeal of this is that it could be a very small game(s) from both the standpoint of land battles and sea battles. Thus might actually be finishable and more playable by those newer to GQ3.

This was very important since it was the first case where the allies turned back the Japanese from their stategic advance and showed that they were not irresistable.

I wondered if anyone had any campaign made up for this? Thanks.

PS if you are curious about it, here's the wiki entry: https://en.wikipedia...le_of_Milne_Bay

#2 MatthewB

MatthewB

Private

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

I did not think that any Allied Ships would be available to counter the Milne Bay invasion.

The Australians and Americans had just had the snot kicked out of them at Savo Island, leaving little to counter the rather smaller Operation RE of Milne Bay.

Such a campaign would mostly involve Air Attacks from Milne and Queensland/Northern Territories (Tindal RAAFB). And they had not much other than P-40s at that.

Not that I am not interested in such a campaign. I would need to see the Courier issue, and the OBs they have.

The OB listed in Wikipedia shows the given OBs (what took place), and not what could have took place with the affect of having different strategic decisions (pulling ships from Noumea, for instance, or routing Submarines or DD divisions to the area.

And the Japanese had at least a Cruiser Division at Rabaul that could potentially be ordered to support Op-RE. I can't quite think off the top of my head what the Americans could have contributed, given how beat up they were after Savo, and that V.Ad. Ghormley was really reluctant to commit forces to anything due to his creeping paranoia that the Japanese were everywhere (I have a list of IJN and USN forces and TROM for those forces for the Solomons Campaign, but it isn't handy at the moment - both could have committed forces to the Milne Bay operation).

MB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users