3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

A little while ago, I posted a reply on a GQIII AAR on TMP.  One of the previous replies made a comment about the Rapid Fire rules, and that some of his group’s IJN players thought it was a bit too powerful.  My reply was WRT how easy it is for players to overlook all of the bad modifiers in GQ3 to the U.S. in a night action.  However, in looking up rules references for my reply, I found the following under 1.5.8 Rapid Fire:

• Die Roll Rapid Fire D12 attack probabilities on the GUNFIRE CRT are increased to include “11”= one hit and “12” = two hits (for 1+ - 2 and 1+ - 3 probabilities), as noted in the dialog box to the right of the EQUIVALENT DAMAGE ROLLS table.

The part in question is that in parenthesis.  My group have always played that if a ship is eligible for Rapid Fire – based on range – that as long as the ship’s gunnery isn’t adjusted up beyond where there actually is a hit probability on the Gunfire CRT, that it hits on “11” and “12”.

Have we been doing this wrong?  The part in parenthesis would seem to indicate that, for example, a U.S. 5” gun won’t necessarily hit on “11” and “12” since the reverse-print 12000yd (Daylight) row only has a hit probability of 1+…

Dave

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

In the example given, the hit probabilities for a 5"/38 in rapid fire at 12000yds (daylight) would be 1+ (1s and 10s, one hit), 11 (11s, one hit), and 12 (12s, 2 hits).  The rapid fire modification is in addition to the base probabilities.  And yes, the base range is what determines whether rapid fire is possible. 

#3 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:00 PM

OK cool.  We've been doing it right.  What then, is the point of the text in parenthesis ?

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

"OK cool.  We've been doing it right.  What then, is the point of the text in parenthesis ?"

The statement is assuming that you roll an 11 or 12 in addition to a 1 or 10.  The explanation above is the correct use.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users