2 replies to this topic

#1 weharding

weharding

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:44 PM

Is there an available list of the ships necessary for the campaign? I have most ships needed for the Battle of the Java Sea and was curious as to the overlap before purchasing.

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:22 PM

The complete list would be the Orders of Battle at the end of the campaign book.  Other than that, I suppose a little "google-fu" will give you a good idea of the ships needed.  I'll try to list a summary...

For the Allies/ABDA, you'll need the surface ships for the U.S. Asiatic Fleet (e.g. several 4-stacker DDs, USS Houston, USS Marblehead, and USS Boise).  There are a couple of other USN ships that can show up based on random chance and/or player's choice (e.g. USS Pensacola and USS Phoenix).  The RN Eastern Fleet ships that were present at Singapore on 7 December 1941 are needed, plus HMS Exeter and the old DDs from Hong Kong; the exception being that HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse can be omitted (the game includes start options that include PoW and Repulse, or assume they were sunk "historically").  Of course you'll need the Dutch fleet of DDs and CLs.  There are also start options that allow HrMs (formerly HMS) Tiger and/or up to two of the projected Dutch Project 1047 class BCs (refer to the Royal Netherlands Navy supplement).  The other set of Allied/ABDA ships you'll need are the RAN and RNZN ships from the ANZAC Squadron (these were added for play balance).  There is also the possibility of a British CV group (HMS Indomitable and HMS Hermes) and an RAN DD division of three N-class DDs.

For the IJN, it is the historical order of battle for the campaign, which includes an impressive number of heavy and light cruisers, and destroyers, of various classes.  If you assume PoW and Repulse were sunk "historically", you don't need any IJN BCs/BBs.  If you include PoW and Repulse, or any of the Dutch BCs, you'll need Kongo and Haruna, and there is the possibility of needing Fuso, Yamashiro, Nagato and/or Mutsu.  There is the possibility of elements of the Kido Butai making an appearance (munus the two Shokaku class CVs).  The rules include a method of gaming the IJN invasion convoys so it is possible to omit any IJN APs, though I think most players would prefer to have the transports on the table.  If so, there is a mechanism to "bathtub" down the size of the convoys (in reality some were very large, e.g. 53 ships) to a manageable number.  Using this approach, you need 12; they can all be the same, or if you have them, 3 small, 6 medium and 3 large.  If you have it, you can include the Shinshu Maru as one of them.

Hope this helps!

#3 weharding

weharding

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Dave, that helps a lot, appreciate the response. Looking to pick this book up at my local con this month hopefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users