Hi everyone, just started my journey into Post Captain and have a few rules questions and clarifications. I apologise if any of these are obvious to you but I am new to age of sail and just want to check I am doing things right J
1. Jig Boom critical hit and sprung masts. In my test game one of the ships had a critical hit on the jig boom. The rules state that the foremast becomes sprung. Does the main mast become sprung, therefore affecting the entire mast?
2. Fouling – cutting free. During a boarding action, or in fact any other time, which of the cutting free tables do you use – I am guessing it is the ‘mast free?’ Also, if an enemy boarding party has control of a deck area can an unfouling attempt still be taken? I know if it was an ungrapple they could not.
3. Grappling. If a grappling attempt is failed during a collision or fouling can additional attempts be made if the ships remain fouled? This would occur in the cutting free phase?
4. Cutting free from fouling or grappling – does this require a crew unit to be allocated? Does it happen immediately or does it take a turn?
5. Proximity collision. The rules state that when ships ‘pass within 25 yards’ they roll for a proximity collision. If ships remain within 25 yards of each other do they have to check again? A situation occurred in my battle where two ships had been fouled long enough to have both of their bows into the wind, when they unfouled they were in irons and so slowly drifted apart, remaining within 25 yards for a turn – should they have checked for a collision again?
6. Damage allocation. I kept hitting an already damaged ship section (the upper deck guns). I ignored additional hits – is that correct?
7. ‘In irons’ A ship can find itself in irons for other reasons than just tacking failure, ie due to drifting – Do I just follow the procedure in tacking until the wind catches the sails?
Sorry again for the stupidity of some of my questions…