• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DerKrampus

DerKrampus

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

The rules state that when multiple batteries are engaging the same target, the "to-hit" on the gunnery CRT is shifted up one row.

Is this penalty applied to the first ttacking ship in the game sequence, or only to subsequent vessels? The real-time, simultaneous way in which we resolve damage would seem to indicate that the penalty should apply.

Subsequently, should all attacking vessels be made to declare targets before gunnery rolls are resolved? Perhaps between the movement and gunnery phases?

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

All shooting is simultaneous, so there is no "first attacking ship" (might be an interesting way to speed up play, as each player tries to get off their shot first; however, I think the resulting chaos would out weigh any benefit!  :D ).

Also, yes, all targets should be declared before they are resolved.  You have to in order for everyone to know who has to take that multiple battery modifier, but also, the third or fourth ship doesn't get to shift if the target happens to be sunk before they resolve their gunnery.

IMO, ideally, the targets would be plotted so players can't react to whet they see - for example, they end up inadvertently ganging up on one ship, while failing to engage others, so those others get to go down a row because they are not engaged.  However, for gunnery, it's not practical.  I have "shell splash" markers (white drywall reinforcements on blue bases) with IDs on them.  They are placed on the target ship, then moved with the ship or moved to another ship if they shift targets.  In daytime, we place them in front of the ship to indicate the first shot at that target (half dice), or behind the ship subsequently.

I do play that things like starshells and searchlights have to be plotted, so you don't get the player pulling the "since my DD is going to illuminated, I'll illuminate that enemy heavy cruiser..." tactic.

Dave

• DerKrampus likes this

#3 DerKrampus

DerKrampus

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

All shooting is simultaneous, so there is no "first attacking ship" (might be an interesting way to speed up play, as each player tries to get off their shot first; however, I think the resulting chaos would out weigh any benefit!  :D ).

Also, yes, all targets should be declared before they are resolved.  You have to in order for everyone to know who has to take that multiple battery modifier, but also, the third or fourth ship doesn't get to shift if the target happens to be sunk before they resolve their gunnery.

IMO, ideally, the targets would be plotted so players can't react to whet they see - for example, they end up inadvertently ganging up on one ship, while failing to engage others, so those others get to go down a row because they are not engaged.  However, for gunnery, it's not practical.  I have "shell splash" markers (white drywall reinforcements on blue bases) with IDs on them.  They are placed on the target ship, then moved with the ship or moved to another ship if they shift targets.  In daytime, we place them in front of the ship to indicate the first shot at that target (half dice), or behind the ship subsequently.

I do play that things like starshells and searchlights have to be plotted, so you don't get the player pulling the "since my DD is going to illuminated, I'll illuminate that enemy heavy cruiser..." tactic.

Dave

Thanks for the reply, Dave.  Good to hear I'm on the right track.  I've been having my players plot out their intended targets (and batteries) on their deck logs between the movement and shooting phases.

#4 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:51 AM

I used to use mini poker chips marked for each ship's MB (and SB if they had one). Each ship would place the appropriate chip by its target (for the battery in question) and that way it was obvious which ships had multiple batteries targeting them. The only problem is it gets a bit much with large fights with cruisers or larger with their multiple batteries.

#5 orlando

orlando

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:31 AM

I ask  my players to plot shooting* at the same time as movement.

*If a ship has the "ship very close ignore plot" movement rule in effect they can ignore plotted shooting to shoot point blank at the close ship.

To save book keeping once a target is engaged it is assumed to be engaged until otherwise ordered so if no shooting order is given the battery engages the same target. If no LoS or arc of fire; cease fire.

#6 Thomas Ruta

Thomas Ruta

Private

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:08 PM

We use a similar system to W. Clark, but different color markers for primary or secondary batteries.  We don't plot shooting (or illuminating) but we do alternate which side goes first on each turn.  So, if the odd turns are 'Axis' turns, they must declare their illumination first and may not 'add' more after the Allies illuminate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users