2 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:09 PM

I noted rule 1.5 (2nd paragraph) that Allied ships based in an Allied Base (Singapore, Batavia or Surabaya) assigned to CD missions (Sweeps and the like) during the game turn their base is captured get a free transfer to the "nearest" Allied base. 

First, I'm assuming "nearest" means adjacent and follows the restrictions of a transfer mission. In other words; Singapore to Batavia, Batavia to Surabaya and Surabaya to Darwin.

That brings me to my question. It is possible (even likely) that Singapore and Batavia will both fall on Game Turn 4. In that case; do ABDA ships assigned to CD missions in Singapore get a free transfer to Surabaya or are they caught at Batavia and scuttled.

This rule was a change (one that I like by the way) from the play test version and my first thought was that the free transfer would have to follow the same protocol as regular transfer missions and thus be restricted to a single base shift per turn. However a close reading of the rule does not spell that out and given the special transfer (either a theater event or a CD transfer mission) of the HMAS Vampire from Singapore to Darwin; it dawned on me that the rule might allow a direct transfer to Surabaya from Singapore, skipping over Batavia.

In the play test there was no such free transfer and the likelihood of both Singapore and Batavia falling on Game turn 4 compelled the Brits to abandon Singapore on Game turn 3 so they could run again (along with the Dutch) from Batavia to Surabaya on Game Turn 4. The rule is a serious boon to the Allies even if it is the more restricted single base transfer as it allows the Allies to mount a last ditch sweep from Batavia to try and stop or at least slow down the Japanese completing their conquest of the Western Attack Force objectives. That IMHO is very important as it might interfere with the WAF transferring the bulk of its combat forces to the EAF on Game Turn 5 allowing them to impact the EAF on Game Turn 6.

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:45 PM

Bill,

If Singapore and Batavia are lost the same GT, ships assigned to missions from both could divert to Surabaya.

Dave

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

That really helps the Allies. The Brits previously needed to abandon Singapore on GT3 and both the Beits and the Dutch needed to get out of Batavia on GT4 to avoid getting caught. The rule now allows them to hang out and still get out when Singapore and Batavia fall as long as they sortied the GT their base fell. I don't think it will save either Singapore or Batavia, but it will prevent the WAF from transferring the Mogamis to the WAF on GT5. That is a real boon to the ABDA opposing the EAF as they will not have to face the Mogamis in addition to the Myokos and Takaos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users