Photo

Help getting started: DD classes, Figurehead minis and the Solomon Campaign.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

Greetings ODGW’ers,

Recently I bought Post Captain (I know not the correct forum but bear with me) and was blown away by its design and presentation. Just before lockdown I borrowed my friends gaming tablet (sooo much temptation) and on it is GQ3. I read it through, marvelled at it and started thinking about playing but have come up with some questions I need answers to:

~ concerning US Destroyers and specifically Figureheads range of 1:6000 miniatures. When trying to represent Bagleys do you use the minis labelled Craven Class? From Wiki-p I think I have worked out that the USS Craven was a Gridley Class and the 1500t ships were the Gridley, Bagleys and Benham. There seems to be only minor differences aesthetically (especially at such a small scale) so does the Figurehead Cravens represent all three of these DD classes? I’m going to buy the rules/campaigns next month but can afford a few ships now so......

~ I intend to get The Solomon’s Campaign (and the fictitious 1937 US vs Japan campaign after I read up on the Uss Panay and was hooked). Can anybody give me a list of what ships HMAS, US and Japanese (and any I’ve missed) are needed for this campaign? Not specifically the Names (although it would be helpful) but the Classes and No. so I can make a shopping list and get a head start (I’ve got relevant Ospreys but I’m not currently well/capable enough to plow my way through them and need a hand up from knowledgeable old salts).

~ I think I’m going to use 1:6000 as it looks the most reasonable but I do love GHQ miniatures 1:2400. For people playing with 1:2400 what size table are you using? And what are your opinions about the appearance on table?  And do most people use 1cm = 100yds or 1cm = 200 yds. The problem I have is I think I’d be quite happy doing mainly DD stuff with a few bigger bits (haven’t seen the campaign yet and I know what I’m like when I get excited about a game) but don’t want to hamstring myself for doing stuff later on. I know this comes up in every naval forum and I’ve probably read all the posts but wonder if you have anything else to add specifically about GQ3? I’m not interested in 1:4800 due to hassle and quality. I did like the idea of Navwar 1:3000 but some people don’t seem that impressed by quality, any thoughts or comparative pics?

Thank you for taking the time to read through all this (and also to my wife for typing this up as I lie in the dark full of Oramorph and covered in Lidocaine patches).

Offshore Breeze (Andrew)

• private_Pike and wackrabbit like this

#2 Phil Callcott

Phil Callcott

Corporal

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:36 AM

Hi Andrew,

We play GQ3 using a mix of 1:3000 Navwar and Davco.

Our wargames table measures 5ft x 10ft and we use 1cm = 200 yds ground scale.

The photos are of 1:3000 Navwar,  I'll let you judge the quality.

Regards, Phil

Attached Files

• Attached File  004.JPG   185.2KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  005.JPG   167.16KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  006.JPG   177.75KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  007.JPG   156.34KB   3 downloads

#3 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

Thanks Phil - for responding and posting photos of your ships. They look excellent, I’m not sure where I read people complaining about Navwar quality but was initially quite taken with them but random negativity on the net made me doubt myself. I think the best thing I could do was buy a sample of 1:6000 and 1:3000 and see which appeal the most in hand. 

Do you use the 1cm = 200yds because of your table size? Or is it just because it looks/feels right when your playing? Having played a space naval game on a tennis court regularly when young I worry I’ll compress everything too much on the tabletop (I play games most people play in 28mm in 15mm as you don’t get parking lots and it looks more believable).

It’s  such a new subject for me I’m feeling slightly swamped so all help is appreciated. Hopefully when house arrest/lockdown ends for all us high risk fragile types I’ll be able to go back to my club (I’m the only historical gamer, some have played Flames of War, and I’m trying to introduce the other members to the wide gamut of excellent historical games available rather than just whatever GW or PP are currently touting).

thank you again, you are a gent 

Andrew

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:52 PM

"~ concerning US Destroyers and specifically Figureheads range of 1:6000 miniatures. When trying to represent Bagleys do you use the minis labelled Craven Class? From Wiki-p I think I have worked out that the USS Craven was a Gridley Class and the 1500t ships were the Gridley, Bagleys and Benham. There seems to be only minor differences aesthetically (especially at such a small scale) so does the Figurehead Cravens represent all three of these DD classes? I’m going to buy the rules/campaigns next month but can afford a few ships now so......"

The Gridley, Bagley and Benham classes were all considered part of the '1500 ton class' DDs.  The Gridleys were ordered in 1934 and 1935 from Bethlehem.  The Bagleys were ordered in 1934 from US Navy yards to the same design, but with improvements to machinery and strengthening of the hull.  The Benhams were ordered in 1935 from US Navy yards as repeats of the Bagleys, but with further improvements to machinery and additional strengthening of the hull.  In appearance, all three classes were very much alike as the major differences were structural and internal.  So, for 1/6000, you should be able to use the same model for all three classes.         

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:58 PM

"~ I think I’m going to use 1:6000 as it looks the most reasonable but I do love GHQ miniatures 1:2400. For people playing with 1:2400 what size table are you using? And what are your opinions about the appearance on table?  And do most people use 1cm = 100yds or 1cm = 200 yds. The problem I have is I think I’d be quite happy doing mainly DD stuff with a few bigger bits (haven’t seen the campaign yet and I know what I’m like when I get excited about a game) but don’t want to hamstring myself for doing stuff later on. I know this comes up in every naval forum and I’ve probably read all the posts but wonder if you have anything else to add specifically about GQ3? I’m not interested in 1:4800 due to hassle and quality. I did like the idea of Navwar 1:3000 but some people don’t seem that impressed by quality, any thoughts or comparative pics?"

Personally, i use 1/6000 with the 1cm=200yds scale.  My group is tight on gaming space, so a 5x9 table is the best we can do.  For daylight actions, 1cm=200yds gives us enough room to maneuver when the ranges are long (like daylight Med battles).  For night actions, where the ranges are much shorter, we use the standard 1cm=100yds.  

#6 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:01 PM

"~ I intend to get The Solomon’s Campaign (and the fictitious 1937 US vs Japan campaign after I read up on the Uss Panay and was hooked). Can anybody give me a list of what ships HMAS, US and Japanese (and any I’ve missed) are needed for this campaign? Not specifically the Names (although it would be helpful) but the Classes and No. so I can make a shopping list and get a head start (I’ve got relevant Ospreys but I’m not currently well/capable enough to plow my way through them and need a hand up from knowledgeable old salts)."

I'll have to pull out my copy of Solomons Campaign to confirm the classes, but I can tell you its pretty extensive.  Let me get back to you on this...

#7 Phil Callcott

Phil Callcott

Corporal

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:30 PM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Capt M also replied and said "Personally, I use 1/6000 with the 1cm=200yds scale.  My group is tight on gaming space, so a 5x9 table is the best we can do.  For daylight actions, 1cm=200yds gives us enough room to maneuver when the ranges are long (like daylight Med battles).  For night actions, where the ranges are much shorter, we use the standard 1cm=100yds."

He took the words right out of my mouth....

For me 1:3000  lets you differentiate between ship models on the table.

Each to his own.

Regards, Phil

#8 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:20 PM

Thank you both for the replies.

CaptM - The Craven question was just nagging at me as the I read up on the 1500s and it seemed straightforward but Hallmark/Figurehead were using a name I’d only seen as the flag ship of a type/class within this group. Thank you from now on I will read Craven and think Gridley/Bagley/Benham.

I realise the Solomon OOB is quite a list but just somewhere sensible to start would be helpful as I hope to be able to buy the rules/campaigns next month and I’m just childishly excited and wanted to get some little ships. Any help would be appreciated but understand you won’t want to give out to much when people can just buy your excellent books. Thanks also for the scale advice that makes sense.

Phil - I think I’m going to have to buy samples of both and see what appeals as I’m quite picky with my likes and dislikes with models.  If possible I like to try and improve or add further detail to my little chaps and don’t think I’ll be too different with ships. I’m not even sure what sort of space I’ll be able to play on, I hope to introduce GQ3 to my local club (they are not historical gamers generally) but I can generally get enough (acceptable) players interested if I put something on. Currently I’m waiting for lockdown to end for shielding people in Wales and probably wont be able to get back to club (it’s busy) until things are more sorted.

Thanks again for the replies I’m excited to get GQ3 onto a table.

Andrew

#9 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:23 AM

Hey Andrew, hope you are feeling better.

We play a lot of FAI here with 1/6000-scale "models", and typically use the 0.4cm = 100 yards scale, with gunnery ranges halved (0.2cm = 100 yards). We find this gives a good appearance on the table while giving up nothing from a mechanics perspective. We base our 1/6000 gear on home-made labeled bases, which is a problem for the DD-sized stuff, as Figurehead DDs are cast on the base.

FH St Vincent b
Figurehead 1/6000 St. Vincent on home-made base.

We have recently begun playing an occasional game at 1/2400-scale, but typically with lighter units no bigger than a heavy cruiser. Even then, you need a lot of space at that scale, but it's do-able. We have occasionally brought heavier stuff out, but usually under contrived/adverse conditions which tighten up the spotting. With many of the actions occurring at night, I would think 1/2400 could work well for many Solomons engagements. 

While I've been, and continue to be a huge fan of GHQ, I'm finding the folks at War Times Journal producing a very nice 3D-printed product. Maybe 90% of the detail of GHQ, but very well made and a bit more economical. WTJ is predominantly WWI/Predreadnought eras, but they have just recently begun a WWII range. Scales are variable, with 1/3000 the smallest.

Minotaur And Cressy
1/2400 GHQ Minotaur in the foreground, WTJ Cressy behind.

Anyway, my two cents. Hope you are back on your feet soon.

Healey

#10 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

Healey,

Thank you for your concern and advice. I do really like GHQ and have a good collection of 1:285 WW2 for Normandy and into the Reich from both directions. I keep staring at the GHQ1:2400 and wondering if they would be usable. What is the engagement distance for most night time actions? Im guessing  >24k yds as that’s what on the gunfire table? (I’ll re-read the appropriate part of the rule book).

Your ships are lovely and I like your bases. To be honest the Figurehead DD’s would only be acceptable if I could remove the irritating bases and replace with my own, I’ve seen it done by a TMP poster (probably on here as well) and it does seem possible.

Thank you all for your help it is appreciated,

Andrew

#11 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:21 AM

What is the engagement distance for most night time actions? Im guessing  >24k yds as that’s what on the gunfire table?

During the Solomons night battles, the range was typically around 7,000-10,000 yards, with occasional closing from there. The USN quickly came to the realization that the maximum effective range of their radar-directed gunnery was 10,000 yards. The IJN did not have radar during the those early battles, instead relying on their excellent optical gear and superior searchlight tactics/range.

Throughout the war, but especially in the early days, the mechanics of naval battles fought at night was hugely complex. It typically boiled down to the difficult task of (1) acquiring targets, and (2) maintaining contact. As technical improvements were made and faith in the technology took hold, radar-directed fire-control made things significantly easier (although there were still technical challenges in its use). The Americans and British made good strides with radar direction, while the Germans and Japanese languished. The Japanese, however, saw night combat as a way to push the odds in their favor, and had developed good tactics and trained their crews rigorously. 

So, if the battles take place at 10,000 yards or shorter, much less table real estate is required. Something to consider if you are pressed for room. 

#12 Bill M

Bill M

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

Hi Andrew,

This is my first post to the forum as I too am new to the game but not new to studying naval history. So here is a good start for your collection as this is the OOB for the first surface action of the Solomon's Campaign.

The Battle of Savo Island

Japanese Forces

Striking Force, VA Gunichi Mikawa (on Chokai)

Chokai (F) (Takao class)

Cruiser Division 6, RA Aritomo Goto

Aoba (F), Kinugasa (both Aoba class), Furutaka, Kako (both Furutaka class).

Cruiser Division 18, RA Mitsuhara Matsuyama

Tenryu (Tenryu class), Yubari (Yubari class)

Screen: Yunagi (Kamikaze class)

Allied Forces

TG 62.6, Western Screen, RA Victor A. C. Crutchley RN

Radar Pickets: Blue, Ralph Talbot (both Bagley class)

Southern Group, RA Victor A. C. Crutchley RN

Australia, Canberra (both Kent class), Chicago (Northampton class), Bagley, Patterson (both Bagley class)

Australia, was originally leading the Southern Group in column but was detached before the battle so that Crutchley could meet with ADM Turner. After the meeting she took up an independent patrol line.

Northern Group, Captain Frederick L. Riefkohl

Vincennes, Quincy, Astoria (all New Orleans class), Helm (Bagley class), Wilson (Benham class)

TG 62.4, Eastern Screen, RA Norman Scott

San Juan (Atlanta class), Hobart (Perth class), Monssen, Buchanan (both Benson-Livermore class), Jarvis (Bagley class)

The above either did or could have taken part in the action, let me know if you want the Fleet List for the X-Ray and Yoke transport groups.

This should keep you busy painting until I write up the Battle of the Eastern Solomons OOB, which is huge! Also let me know if you are interested in the OOB's for the sub actions that took place.

Cheers

Bill M.

#13 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 08:51 PM

Below is the OOB from The Solomons Campaign.  

IJN      

Initial Forces

Ship                 Type   Class         Formation

Chokai              CA    Takao          8th Fleet

Aoba                 CA    Aoba           6th Cruiser Squadron

Kinugasa          CA    Aoba           6th Cruiser Squadron

Furutaka           CA    Furutaka     6th Cruiser Squadron

Kako                 CA    Furutaka     6th Cruiser Squadron

Tenryu               CL    Tenryu        18th Cruiser Squadron

Tatsuta              CL    Tenryu        18th Cruiser Squadron
Yubari               CL    Yubari          6th Destroyer Flotilla

Asanagi            DD    Kamikaze    6th Destroyer Flotilla, 29th Destroyer Division

Yunagi              DD    Kamikaze    6th Destroyer Flotilla, 29th Destroyer Division

Yuzuki              DD    Mutsuki        6th Destroyer Flotilla, 29th Destroyer Division

Mochizuki         DD    Mutsuki       6th Destroyer Flotilla, 30th Destroyer Division

Mutsuki             DD    Mutsuki       6th Destroyer Flotilla, 30th Destroyer Division

Uzuki                DD    Mutsuki        6th Destroyer Flotilla, 30th Destroyer Division

Yayoi                 DD    Mutsuki       6th Destroyer Flotilla, 30th Destroyer Division

Jintsu                CL    Sendai         2nd Destroyer Flotilla

Hagikaze          DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 4th Destroyer Division

Maikaze            DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 4th Destroyer Division

Kagero              DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 15th Destroyer Division

Hayashio          DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 15th Destroyer Division

Kuroshio           DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 15th Destroyer Division

Oyashio            DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 15th Destroyer Division

Hamakaze        DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 17th Destroyer Division

Isokaze             DD    Kagero        2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 17th Destroyer Division

Uzakaze            DD    Kagero       2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 17th Destroyer Division

Kawakaze         DD    Shiratsuyu  2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 24th Destroyer Division

Suzukaze          DD    Shiratsuyu  2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 24th Destroyer Division

Umikaze            DD    Shiratsuyu  2nd Destroyer Flotilla, 24th Destroyer Division              

2nd Fleet

Nagato               BB    Nagato       1st Battle Squadron

Mutsu                 BB    Nagato       1st Battle Squadron

Atago                 CA    Takao         4th Cruiser Squadron

Maya                  CA    Takao         4th Cruiser Squadron

Takao                 CA    Takao         4th Cruiser Squadron

Myoko                CA    Nachi          5th Cruiser Squadron

Haguro               CA    Nachi          5th Cruiser Squadron

Yura                    CL    Nagara       4th Destroyer Flotilla

Harusame          DD    Shiratsuyu  4th Destroyer Flotilla, 2nd Destroyer Division

Murasame          DD    Shiratsuyu  4th Destroyer Flotilla, 2nd Destroyer Division

Samidare            DD    Shiratsuyu  4th Destroyer Flotilla, 2nd Destroyer Division

Yudachi              DD    Shiratsuyu  4th Destroyer Flotilla, 2nd Destroyer Division

Shiratsuyu          DD    Shiratsuyu  4th Destroyer Flotilla, 27th Destroyer Division

Shigure               DD    Shiratsuyu  4th Destroyer Flotilla, 27th Destroyer Division

Ariake                 DD    Hatsuharu  4th Destroyer Flotilla, 27th Destroyer Division

Asagumo            DD    Asashio      4th Destroyer Flotilla, 9th Destroyer Division

Minegumo           DD    Asashio      4th Destroyer Flotilla, 9th Destroyer Division

Natsugumo         DD    Asashio      4th Destroyer Flotilla, 9th Destroyer Division              

3rd Fleet

Haruna                BB    Kongo         3rd Battle Squadron

Kongo                  BB    Kongo         3rd Battle Squadron

Suzuya                CA    Kumano       7th Cruiser Squadron

Kumano               CA    Kumano       7th Cruiser Squadron

Tone                    CA    Tone             8th Cruiser Squadron

Chikuma              CA    Tone             8th Cruiser Squadron

Nagara                 CL    Nagara        10th Destroyer Flotilla

Arashi                  DD    Kagero         10th Destroyer Flotilla, 4th Destroyer Division

Nowake               DD    Kagero         10th Destroyer Flotilla, 4th Destroyer Division

Akigumo              DD    Yugumo        10th Destroyer Flotilla, 10th Destroyer Division

Kazegumo           DD    Yugumo        10th Destroyer Flotilla, 10th Destroyer Division

Makigumo            DD    Yugumo        10th Destroyer Flotilla, 10th Destroyer Division

Yugumo               DD    Yugumo        10th Destroyer Flotilla, 10th Destroyer Division

Amatsukaze         DD    Kagero         10th Destroyer Flotilla, 16th Destroyer Division

Hatsukaze            DD    Kagero         10th Destroyer Flotilla, 16th Destroyer Division

Tokitsukaze          DD    Kagero         10th Destroyer Flotilla, 16th Destroyer Division

Yukikaze              DD    Kagero         10th Destroyer Flotilla, 16th Destroyer Division

Tanikaze              DD    Kagero         10th Destroyer Flotilla, 17th Destroyer Division        

Yamoto                BB    Yamato         Combined Fleet

Akebono              DD    Fubuki          7th Destroyer Division

Sazanami            DD    Fubuki          7th Destroyer Division

Ushio                   DD    Fubuki          7th Destroyer Division        

Reinforcements      

Hiei                      BB    Kongo  

Kirishima              BB    Kongo          

Carriers      

Taiyo                    CVE  Taiyo             Combined Fleet

Hiyo                     CV    Junyo  

Junyo                   CV    Junyo  

Ryujo                   CVL   Ryujo  

Zuikaku                CV    Shokaku       1st Carrier Squadron

Shokaku               CV    Shokaku       1st Carrier Squadron        

Transports      

Kinryu Maru          AP    

Meiyo Maru           AP    

P1                         APD   Converted Momi DD  

P2                         APD   Converted Momi DD  

P34                       APD   Converted Minekaze DD  

P35                       APD   Converted Minekaze DD

USN      

Initial Forces      

Ship                 Type   Class             Formation 

Astoria               CA    New Orleans  

New Orleans      CA    New Orleans  

Minneapolis       CA    New Orleans  

Quincy               CA    New Orleans  

San Francisco   CA    New Orleans  

Vincennes          CA    New Orleans

Chicago             CA    Northampton  

Portland             CA    Indianapolis  

Salt Lake City    CA    Pensacola   

Atlanta                CL    Atlanta  

San Juan            CL    Atlanta  

Hobart                CL    RN Perth  

Dale                   DD    Farragut           Destroyer Squadron 1

Dewey               DD    Farragut           Destroyer Squadron 1

Farragut             DD    Farragut           Destroyer Squadron 1

Hull                    DD    Farragut           Destroyer Squadron 1

MacDonough     DD    Farragut           Destroyer Squadron 1

Worden              DD    Farragut           Destroyer Squadron 1

Wilson                DD    Benham           Destroyer Squadron 1

Phelps                DD    Porter               Destroyer Squadron 1

Bagley                DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Blue                    DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Helm                   DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Henley                DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Jarvis                  DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Mugford              DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Patterson            DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Ralph Talbot        DD    Bagley              Destroyer Squadron 4

Selfridge             DD    Farragut            Destroyer Squadron 4

Balch                   DD    Porter               Destroyer Squadron 6

Benham              DD    Benham            Destroyer Squadron 6

Ellet                     DD    Benham            Destroyer Squadron 6

Gwin                    DD    Benson             Destroyer Squadron 6

Monssen              DD    Benson             Destroyer Squadron 6

Maury                  DD    Gridley              Destroyer Squadron 6

Aaron Ward         DD    Bristol               Destroyer Squadron 12

Buchanan            DD    Bristol               Destroyer Squadron 12

Farenholt             DD    Bristol               Destroyer Squadron 12

Laffey                  DD    Bristol               Destroyer Squadron 12

Lang                    DD    Benham            Destroyer Squadron 12 

Stack                   DD    Benham            Destroyer Squadron 12

Sterett                 DD    Benham            Destroyer Squadron 12        

Reinforcements      

Washington         BB    North Carolina  

South Dakota      BB    South Dakota  

Northampton       CA    Northampton  

Pensacola           CA    Pensacola  

Chester               CA    Northampton 

Boise                   CL    Brooklyn  

Phoenix               CL    Brooklyn  

Helena                CL    Brooklyn  

San Diego           CL    Atlanta  

Juneau                CL    Atlanta  

Lansdowne         DD    Bristol  

Lardner               DD    Bristol  

Duncan               DD    Bristol  

McCalla              DD    Bristol  

Nicholas             DD    Fletcher  

O'Bannon           DD    Fletcher  

Fletcher              DD    Fletcher  

Shaw                  DD    Mahan

Conyngham        DD    Mahan               Destroyer Squadron 5

Cushing              DD    Mahan               Destroyer Squadron 5

Mahan                DD    Mahan               Destroyer Squadron 5

Smith                  DD    Mahan               Destroyer Squadron 5

Preston               DD   Mahan                Destroyer Squadron 5

Porter                 DD    Porter                 Destroyer Squadron 5

Carriers

Enterprise          CV    Yorktown

Hornet                CV    Yorktown  

Saratoga            CV    Lexington  

Wasp                  CV    Wasp          

Transports      

Fomalhaut          AP    

Alhena                AP    

Bellatrix              AP    

Fuller                  AP    

McCawley           AP    

Zeilin                   AP    

Colhoun              APD    Converted Clemson DD  

Gregory              APD    Converted Clemson DD  

Little                    APD    Converted Clemson DD  

McKean              APD    Converted Clemson DD  

#14 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

Healey - so 10,000 with 1:2400 is doable on a large table. Do people tend to stick to one scale or is there a majority of people using varying scales depending on the action? It strikes me Naval gaming has enough potential to be a hobby in of itself much like my WW2 ground forces in 15mm for skirmishing and platoon strength then 6mm for anything bigger. Just wanted a relatively cost effective and enjoyable side project :) (exactly how my WW2 land forces started).

Bill.M - Thank you that is very helpful. I’ve read up on some ospreys and the like but having a straight forward list in front of me helps me picture it more. I’m currently reading T.Roosevelt’s book on the naval war of 1812 for Post Captain and trying to absorb as much about that as possible but I’ll have to schedule some destroyer focused books and some theatre specific stuff. The Far East is something I’d like to do in 15mm land forces too so hopefully I’ll be able to blend GQ3/Action Stations/Chain of Command and Battlegroup and play some campaigns around there. Got to finish Tunisia first then due East (down side for wanting worthwhile wargaming collections is having to be able to field both sides/scenery so nothing becomes redundant when a friend gets bored).

Capt.M - wow. Thank you that’s above and beyond and much appreciated. That should keep me busy. Very excited about the game and whilst I don’t know when I’ll be able to go back to my local club having something to work on will keep me motivated. Thank you again I appreciate the effort and time you have taken to help me out. Now to buy a few samples of a few scales/manufacturers and see what I like and try and find somewhere in the U.K. to buy the fictitious’37 Japanese vs American campaign (everything else I’ll have to buy from Caliver).

Thank you to all of you for being so welcoming and helpful it has really helped. Stay safe and well,

Andrew

#15 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:16 PM

OSB - Speaking for myself, I definitely use various scales dependent upon the order-of-battle and the conditions. Clear weather and BB/BCs, I'm scaling up to 1/6000. Smaller ships (cruisers and less), or poor visibility, we can squeeze in nearly anything with 1/2400 (see our "Saving the Braunschweig" dust-up which had WWI BBs pounding the tar out of each other at near point-blank range while moving through squalls and fog banks). Generally a 5x9 table seems plenty of room, but at scale it's rather small. Remember, the action in naval battles is typically "running", i.e. both you and your adversary will be endlessly reaching the table-edge while pursuing or being pursued. Think of it as the playing surface scrolling beneath the ships, the "floating table" as some of the guys here call it. With some practice, it can be made to work. 

#16 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated. So I’ve bought the rules and the Solomon’s campaign and ordered a pack of 1/6000 Craven class destroyers to have a look at. Now I just have to wait impatiently like a small child. I’ll probably end up buying some GHQ ships for closer stuff as I love their models but I’m optimistic about the figurehead stuff.  I’ve also started working on concepts for a floating table or two tables next to each other with some kind of counter between them to represent the gap between the fleets (I think it’s pretty straightforward but it’ll be easier to see in reality). Can’t wait to get playing and try and introduce to my friends at club.

Thanks again, stay safe and well,

Andrew

#17 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:12 PM

Lots of news!

My sample Craven DD’s from figurehead turned up. They’re quite nice but I’m still not a fan of the bases. I removed some (and made my own) but I’m not to convinced as they’re not cheap and I don’t want 60% of the casting. I’ll have to ponder this but the second bit of news kind of torpedoes the whole idea anyway.

Sadly though it doesn’t look like I’m going to get to play GQ3 anyway. I ordered it through the only U.K. seller I could find (no name but obvious to whom I’m referring) along with the Solomon’s campaign and the movement thingy. Their PayPal link didn’t work and I noticed that they charge a separate surcharge for using PayPal (something that is against PayPal’s rules - you can charge a handling fee but it must be on all payment methods and this practice also goes against the 2018 Surcharge Prohibition legislation too) so instead payed by card. Two days later they emailed me to say the card hadn’t worked. I explained my concerns (which I’d checked with Trading Standards) and asked them about their PayPal policy and they stated PayPal is expensive for both customers and sellers alike (They’ve obviously never had a business bank account) and that’s why they had a handling fee (it is stated as a Surcharge when you finally get to the payment method page and it’s mentioned for the first time). Instead I opted to pay by card by sending my details in two emails. At this point I joked to my wife that they were never going to send me the product. 11 days later I got an email saying that they couldn’t get my card to work and they had cancelled my order. Sterling service. To say I am annoyed and disappointed is an understatement (I could buy the digital copies directly but want the hard copies and between international postage and taxes I can’t afford to get them sent to me - not ODGWs fault in the slightest). So apart from boycotting this U.K. company and making sure that anyone I know who intends to use them doesn’t (there are plenty of complaints about them already but unfortunately the few people who have had acceptable service often join in with some fan-boy internet defence the moment anyone says anything) I need another plan.

My wife has asked me to find out who to contact in regard to becoming a U.K. distributor as it’s a shame that such great products are receiving such bad representation as it must be effecting the size of the player base. So who do I need to contact? 

thank you for taking the time to read this,

Andrew

• wackrabbit likes this

#18 Brooks Witten

Brooks Witten

Private

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, By God!

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:15 PM

I am sorry to read of your difficulties in obtaining 'hard copies' of General Quarters.

However it is my hope that this will not dissuade you from playing this set of rules.
Like you, I'm very much 'old school' and am the only member of our group not using a tablet.  But that hasn't prevented me from downloading a copy of various optional scenarios and printing my own personal copy.  (And yes, most times I can find a rule defining a point of contention before my 'more up to date' counterparts.)

I recommend that you go ahead and purchase the digital copy, put it on a thumb drive, and convince your better half that it's worth printing up and binding for your own personal use. 
It's a fine set of rules which has been improved constantly over the decades.

#19 OffshoreBreeze

OffshoreBreeze

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Brook,

It’s not that I’m pdf averse per se it’s more a combination of factors from the fact I don’t have (or can realistically afford a PC) only an iPad (they’re great but they are not replacements for actual computers as they’re too limited by apple) and if I buy the hard copies I get the pdfs anyway. I’m still attached to analog reference material and like to have them even if only as a back up. At the current conversion rates and as I’m shielding by the time I’ve bought them digitally and then paid someone to print them (and I’d want them to be as nice as ODGW provide) it will cost more (if I could find a way to get it to them - iPad again). It’s not the end of the world and my problems are very first world and unimportant, I’m not giving up on GQ3 as I’m hooked from just reading through it (and love Post Captain) but I’m not giving the current U.K. distributor one pence of my meagre funds. My father in law and wife now want to start a new company and distribute ODGW stuff in the U.K. (I’m too ill to contribute but fully approve) as the service I received was lousy and shouldn’t happen today. I’m just waiting for a response from ODGW to see if it’s possible.

Thank you for the supportive words, I bear no ill will to ODGW, they are excellent and deserve all the success they can get, if possible I’d like to help promote their products on this side of the pond.

Thank you also to all those great people on this forum as they have been very welcoming and helpful

Stay safe and well

Andrew

• Brooks Witten and wackrabbit like this

#20 wackrabbit

wackrabbit

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA USA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

After reading a number of discussions and acquiring the GQ3 rules and the Solomons Campaign, I and my wallet decided that 1/6000 was the correct solution for me, along with 1/1250 aircraft models to build squadron markers from. I appreciate the discussion here very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users