• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Burton

Andrew Burton

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

Why are the US armored infantry platoon so small compared to the Germans.  I looked up platoon numbers for the US and Germans and the Germans are like somewhere around 9 to 10 men and the US were around 7 to 8.  So why in the data book the Germans are like 4 squads and one co, and the USA is only 2 squads and one co?  Is this typo or how did that figure out, US should at least be as large as the UK.

#2 healey36

healey36

Captain

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:47 AM

It’s unclear to me whether you are referring to “scaled” data for game purposes, or actual TOE. An actual 1942 US Army rifle platoon was typically around 40 men organized in three “squads” of 12, with a command of 3-4 (a 2LT and a couple NCOs).

#3 Mark 1

Mark 1

Sergeant

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:06 PM

US Army Armored Infantry formations had less manpower than equivalent formations in Infantry Divisions.  This was because some of their manpower was devoted to their vehicles (driver/mechanics and vehicle commanders) and because they had far greater firepower per man and so, in theory at least, they didn't need as many men.

The theory was not exactly validated by reality. One of the most common criticisms of the Armored Infantry formations was that they didn't have enough infantry.  It was fairly common in 1944 and 1945 for Armored Infantry formations to leave their AT guns behind (1 AT gun per platoon!  No other infantry formations had so much firepower) and use the crews as additional infantry.

Or so I've read.

-Mark

(aka: Mk 1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users