No replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:52 PM

I am never as happy as when I'm on campaign. That is not the way I would describe most of the naval gamers I've met. But I too play scenarios. So, you've wore out just about every historical scenario you know of, and you would like something new.  Well, if you like the Pacific then ODGW has you covered. You can easily use all of ODGW's three Pacific Campaigns to generate scenarios with minimal effort on your part. You have three different time periods with different situations to pick from. You want convoys? Maybe just an old fashion surface brawl. It's there along with sweeps, patrols and carrier missions.

SS (Sudden Storm) puts you in a what if war between Japan and the USA in the late thirties.  The UK and the Dutch can get involved defending their neutrality so there is a lot of possibilities. Basically, you use the campaign to decide the OB you pick your force from and to assign it an objective and mission to accomplish. The campaign engagement set will determine your start speed, wind force and direction, are there squalls or fog? What is the relative bearing from one opponent to the other and how far apart they are at the start, Force speed. Moon state and on and on with almost infinite variations even if you use the same OB more than once. I mean it will decide how long smoke lasts if you want it to.

DTMB (Defending the Malay Barrier) pits you as the Japanese or the ABDA in late 1941 through March 42. Daylight surface actions are common, and you can very well have night actions too. Radar is limited and early. You can incorporate the historically omnipresent Japanese LBA (Land Based Air) if you want to with a few die rolls. The Allies have several start options for their OB.

​TSC (The Solomons Campaign) puts you in or about Iron Bottom Sound in August through November 1942. Surface scenarios are night actions and daylight fights are carrier battles.

​Any way you cut it you end up with a historically plausible scenarios that will vary almost every time you play them.

Game on

WMC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users