3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:54 PM

I have been following thisas best the uninitiated can on both SMS web page and Dave manely's page... but everything has been vague as to details. I had asked Norm to play test, but was told "Full Up" ...This set seems noticeably more complex than the old GQ was. I liked them, as they seemed a nice balance of simulation and playability. I am a bit concerned that these are not as easy... that ship chart isn't something you can sketch up and fill in on the nearest table top, as we could in the old set ... AND I didn't see any Dutch (ooops, Netherlands) ships for the NEI campaign. Are these just included under a major countries ships ? Or do I start by making my own judicious estimates of their capabilities ?I must admit, that working up your own ships was fun under the old system ... I made the US Flight Deck Cruiser or the 1930's for fun... and MAX IMMELMANN , a German CVL on a panzerschiffe hull... how hard will this be now ?

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

Taking things in reverse, I'm pretty sure that the Dutch will be provided separately. Currently, I'll working on the OB for the NEI for Lonnie and I think he has the ships pretty much fleshed out. These might come out as a freebie on the website or as an additional set of nations and ships (exactly how hasn't been determined). So, as they say, watch this space for further announcements...Regarding the complexity vis-a-vis GQ1 and GQ2. The system is considerable different and more detailed but is not more difficult to play. If anything, its easier, due to a better design that is more intuitive. And the old attack/defence odds system is gone, so players won't have to "do the math" (you have no idea how many players I've seen break into a sweat when faced with that odds system!). The tables are well laid out with a eye towards ease of use. I think you'll find the new system maintains the balance between historical accurancy and playability. Making up the data for ships not included should not be a provblem once you become familiar with the system and may actually be easier than under the old system.Mike

#3 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Mike,I guess I am going to have to wait and see it. I was also wondering about the gunfire system, as the little bit Lonnie posted sounded like we had gone from the percentile/matrix damage system to something more simplistic "Roll a D12 and 1,2 or 3 hits..."I think we will have to hold out another week and then we'll finally get a chance to see where everything is...Then we can all suggest the changes they have tried and discarded... isn't that how it goes ?

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

Have to admit, I had the same impression the first time I saw the system. However, as I looked more closely, I realized that while being mechanically simple, the overall system and outcomes are not (deceptively so). It is definitely different from any other game system on the market, just as different as GQ1 was when it came out 30 years ago.Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users