• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 William MacGillivray

William MacGillivray

Private

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

Am I right in beliveing that the chart consulted for torpedo damage is the Mine & Torpedo Damage table on the target's national card, and not the firer's (but that the column modifier for torpedo size is taken from the firer's national card)?If this is correct, doesn't it mean that hits from Japanese Long Lance torpedoes will (on average) do slightly less damage to Allied ships than Allied torpedoes will do to Japanese ships (ignoring duds). This seems odd given the Long Lance's bigger warhead.

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

You use the firer's Torpedo Damage table. I wondered myself, and went through and noticed the IJN one is slightly more damaging than the USN.

#3 DAVID THORNLEY

DAVID THORNLEY

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

While the Japanese tended to pack more explosive into their torpedos (except for the aerial variety), they used different, and quite likely less effective explosives.We could get seriously bogged down in the details of torpedos if we wanted. For example, the switch to Torpex in mid-war was a major increase in explosive power, and late-war Allied torpedos were much more powerful than those of the early war (not to mention that late-war US torpedos usually exploded when hitting the target, always a good thing if you're not Japanese).

#4 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:47 AM

Torpex is covered by optional rule 1.4.11 Torpex Warheads on page 5-2.

#5 William MacGillivray

William MacGillivray

Private

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

co_diver wrote:

You use the firer's Torpedo Damage table. I wondered myself, and went through and noticed the IJN one is slightly more damaging than the USN.

Are you sure the firer's table is used? In general the firer's tables are used for hit chances but the target's tables are used for damage (so the firer doesn't know exactly what the extent of the damage is).If the firer's tables are used, then Italian torpedos are about as destructive as Long Lances.When I noticed this I assumed that using the target's tables represented poorer underwater protection for Japanese and Italian vessels compared to other nations.

#6 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

If you don't use the firer's, why would there be a note on the IJN Mine & Torpedo Damage Table "Aerial & 21" torpedos LEFT one column"?

#7 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

"co_diver" is correct — you use the firer's "mine & torpedo table."Cheers,Gregory

#8 William MacGillivray

William MacGillivray

Private

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

co_diver wrote:

If you don't use the firer's, why would there be a note on the IJN Mine & Torpedo Damage Table "Aerial & 21" torpedos LEFT one column"?

Because it would be impractical to put it on every other nations chart along with every other nations equivalent on all charts.

#9 William MacGillivray

William MacGillivray

Private

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

gregoryk wrote:

"co_diver" is correct — you use the firer's "mine & torpedo table."Cheers,Gregory

This isn't made clear in rules 1.4.7. This only refers to the target's captain making the roll, which seemed to me to indicate that he uses his own damage table.By the way, when early German & USN torpedos are duds on an even D12 roll, is this the damage roll or a separate roll just for dud purposes? If it is the damage roll, then it means these nations early torpedos can never get critical hits.

#10 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

Bill,Greg and co_diver are right, you gott'a use the firer's chart. Guess I've got to take a hit that this wasn't as clear as it could have been in 1.4.7.Further, the Even = Dud text for USN and early Kriegsmarine torpedoes got out of place. It applies to the D12 roll on the TORPEDO CRT - not the MINE & TORPEDO DAMAGE table - and should be in 1.4.6. Thanks for the catch.

#11 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Late Update: This was changed as of Amendment 1. You now use the target CRT for resolution of torpedo and mine damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users