• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob Chad Nobles

Jacob Chad Nobles

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

Could someone please in laymans terms explain what a bonus move is. I couldn't find an exact explanation in the rules.P.S. I am new to the rules. Just recieved my Panzer Company (panther G) and my t34 BN. Not sure if this is a going to be a good matchup or not. Any advice would be nice thanks

#2 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 901 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

A "bonus move" is exactly that an extra move allowence. In MP a player will "activate" a "unit". (One platoon of Panthers). During this activation the player has up to two (2) actions to due with the unit. [ I say up to because the player can choose to do only one action of no actions at all.] One action is just a move while the other action can be a second move or fire or etc... action. (Your Panthers move 4 pips cc the each move action thus giving a possible 0-8 pips of movment during the activation of that unit.The allowed list of actions are printed on the Basic and Advance Reference cards.In the Advance game there are other movment type actions allowed with the "Bonus Move" like Hide, Load, Unload, etc...---Kenny[don't shoot me for inaccuracy of the Panther CC pips, I'm not close to my data book, sides this is just an example!! <grin>]

#3 Jacob Chad Nobles

Jacob Chad Nobles

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

Ok so correct me if I am wrong but lets say the Panther can move 7 pips. With the bonus it can move up to 14 pips then?

#4 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

You have it correct. The Standard Action is for all actions, including movement. The Bonus Move is for movement actions only.Gregory

#5 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

I like to think of it this way ... when a 'unit' activates it has available to it two actions; a standard action and a move (bonus) action. Sometimes taking the standard action will negate the availability of the move action. Most notably opting to conduct direct fire using the OM1 modifier. As you correctly surmised the standard action may be used to conduct movement and if combined with the move (only) action you could move 14 pips with a vehicle listing a move rate of 7 pips.Personaly I wish the term 'bonus' hadn't been picked as in my mind it ellicits an extrodonairy situation (like an exploitation move or some such) rather than a common one.

#6 Jacob Chad Nobles

Jacob Chad Nobles

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

Yes the bonus word kinda threw me off...

#7 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:00 AM

Thought here. What if we dropped the bonus off? Call it a Move Action instead of Bonus Move Action? Thus, the player would receive a Standard Action and a Move Action. Thoughts?Just for clarification, the reason "Bonus" was used is that the action is a "Bonus" to a stand in command distance. The Bonus Move is contingent upon the moving stand (squad or vehicle) being within command distance of another stand (squad or vehicle) in its unit. So, if a stand is out of command distance from all other stands in its unit it would lose the "Bonus" Move action.

#8 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:03 AM

I kind of like, 'bonus move'. Bob your description is very clear, is that in the rulebook somewhere as it add a great deal of clarity? (I am away from the rules at the moment and can't recall)I prefer 'gaining' the bonus for being in command rather than 'losing' it for not being in command, however we always use the command and morale Drop-In's so maybe we are more tuned into the command structures already.

#9 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

It is just that generally, at least on the game board, being in command is the norm. It makes more intuitive sense to me to suffer some detriment for being out of command than having a 'bonus' for being in command. Every time I've taught the game I've had to get around the bonus idea with new players and I fall back on calling it standard and move actions. However, I don't really think it is a big deal one way or the other.

#10 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

I see both points, especially since our group always uses the Command rules too. But I think it might be easier to simply call it a Move Action, and introduce the idea of it being a Bonus for "in command" in the Command chapter.Thoughts?Cheers,Gregory

#11 Jacob Chad Nobles

Jacob Chad Nobles

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:22 PM

I know understand where the "bonus move" name comes from. As I haven't read the command module yet I didn't realize that being out of comand negates the "bonus move". It all makes a great deal of sense.

#12 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

The Bonus Move is not spelled out well in the beginning of the book, maybe as it should be. It is not detailed as I have done which would help allievate any questions. I can see both sides of the issue and personally I can go either way, as long as it is spelled out in the rules. Bonus move is mentioned at the beginning and refers to the Command and Control chapter but that's it. It doesn't mention anything about losing the Bonus move when out of command as we have always taught it and played it even when not specifically using the C and C rules. I would say we need to shake this out better. :pinch:

#13 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 901 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

Ok I ask for clarification on the Bonus Move action.Basic GameBonus move is only a "move" actionAdvance gameBonus Move can be amy type of "movement" action listed on the ARC Actions section. Like load and unload troops etc...???Kenny

#14 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

The "Bonus" Move has always been "intended" to be a bonus for being within Command Distance. The rules, apparently, have done a poor job of explaining that.My concern with removing the word "bonus" is it may prove confusing for everyone already familiar with the game. It's been part of the system for 10 years.Instead of making exceptions or word changes, how about something like this?A stand, when activated, receives a Standard Action that can be used to perform any action defined in the game. In addition, when a stand is within Command Distance it receives a bonus Movement Action which can be used at any point during its activation. This "Bonus Move" can be taken before or after a stand's Standard Action and may consist of any action defined as a movement action. Physical movement taken as a stand's Bonus Move can also be split, if desired, with part of the stand's movement being taken before its Standard Action and the balance taken afterward.I would place this in the Basic Rules and duplicate it exactly in the Advanced Rules. Any mention of losing your Bonus Move in the Command chapter could be deleted.

#15 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

jcoulter wrote:

The "Bonus" Move has always been "intended" to be a bonus for being within Command Distance. The rules, apparently, have done a poor job of explaining that.My concern with removing the word "bonus" is it may prove confusing for everyone already familiar with the game. It's been part of the system for 10 years.Instead of making exceptions or word changes, how about something like this?A stand, when activated, receives a Standard Action that can be used to perform any action defined in the game. In addition, when a stand is within Command Distance it receives a bonus Movement Action which can be used at any point during its activation. This "Bonus Move" can be taken before or after a stand's Standard Action and may consist of any action defined as a movement action. Physical movement taken as a stand's Bonus Move can also be split, if desired, with part of the stand's movement being taken before its Standard Action and the balance taken afterward.I would place this in the Basic Rules and duplicate it exactly in the Advanced Rules. Any mention of losing your Bonus Move in the Command chapter could be deleted.

But you and many others do not use the Command rules. So how does it apply in those cases?I am in favor of dropping the "Bonus" word, too, since it is one of the things which we have found confusing. It is not a Bonus in the sense of getting it as a perk; you lose it when you do not have a special, advanced, optional case, i.e., you are using Chapter 13 and you are not In Command.Gregory

#16 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:45 PM

Platoon command distance is always used in basic, standard and optional command rules, any unit within command distance of its platoon gains the bonus move. (optional command rules add other criteria needed for gaining the bonus move.)

#17 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

Okay! I guess I never bothered to notice, since we never bothered to play without the Command rules. I think the "Bonus" element needs to be highlighted, as Jon has suggested.Thanks for the correction!Gregory

#18 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:07 AM

A stand, when activated, receives a Standard Action that can be used to perform any action defined in the game. In addition, when a stand is within Command Distance it receives a bonus Movement Action which can be used at any point during its activation. This "Bonus Move" can be taken before or after a stand's Standard Action and may consist of any action defined as a movement action. Physical movement taken as a stand's Bonus Move can also be split, if desired, with part of the stand's movement being taken before its Standard Action and the balance taken afterward.Jon,I would make a slight addition to the third sentence as per what we teach at Cons:This "Bonus Move" can be taken before, during or after a stand's Standard Action and may consist of any action defined as a movement action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users