• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Powers

Ryan Powers

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hello everyone.Getting back into microarmor after a *long* break.Have decided that Mein Panzer looks like the way to go. Or a way to go, I tend to collect almost as many rules sets as tank models...I am really only looking at the difference between buying the actual book vs. buying just download access to the rules. It largely comes down to how up to date is the pre-printed stuff? In other words, there comes a point when if I'm printing enough updates I'll just go the download and print route. But if there aren't many updates not reflected in the pre-printed rules, my time is worth more than the money spent getting the preprinted rules.So how much printing to update the rules am I looking at for the Core book and the WW2 data? I realize this isn't quite a standard rules question, but this seemed the closest match forum-wise. If there's a more appropriate one, I apologize in advance.Also, a note for the ODGW guys. The largest factor in deciding I probably want to go with the Mein Panzer rules is the nicely illustrated example of play. I figured if I were making a product, I'd want to know why people chose mine, so now you know.Another (less important) downloading question is, is there downloadable versions of the data books that don't seem to actually be purchasable (even if out of date)?Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.Ryan Powers

#2 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

I bought the printed version a couple of years back. It has since all been replaced by updates (version 2). Also, with the .pdf you only have to print off those drop-in's that you use. Same thing for the data books. You will need to print some of the templates on acetate ... still I'd say .pdf is the way to go.

#3 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:04 AM

Hi Ryan,Let me answer your questions first.

So how much printing to update the rules am I looking at for the Core book and the WW2 data? I realize this isn't quite a standard rules question, but this seemed the closest match forum-wise. If there's a more appropriate one, I apologize in advance.

This is just as good as anywhere for these questions and this is the right place for answers, I hope :). You would have to reprint the entire book for each as the revisions really cleaned up a lot of the rules and made some significant changes in other rules. Example infantry went to squad based stands from 1/2 squad or fire team based stands in the rule book> The Data Books would also have to be totally reprinted as we changed the format by adding a couple of columns in an effort to simplify the rules. Example added "P" column under the Class section to indicate the number of passenger points a vehicle could carry and broke out the Special Ammunition column better using AP OV, HT OV (Heat), HE OV, HE FP and Other. I also made some additions to various countries including trucks and other missing items since the books first release.

Also, a note for the ODGW guys. The largest factor in deciding I probably want to go with the Mein Panzer rules is the nicely illustrated example of play. I figured if I were making a product, I'd want to know why people chose mine, so now you know.

Thank you! And I would also like to thank Trotsky again for his time in providing the article! :) If you or anyone else would like to create and post examples of play on the rules or would like to see more of these types of illustrations let us know. We can always use the help too as there are few of us and it doesn't take much to screw up our timetables on getting things out the door.

Another (less important) downloading question is, is there downloadable versions of the data books that don't seem to actually be purchasable (even if out of date)?

The WW2 Secret Weapons Add-On and Spanish Civil War Data Books are not available yet for download.Here is an update on where we are at right now. We are just finally nearing a point of sending the revisions to the printer for all of our current MP products. We have had some personal issues again interfere with our production schedule and won't be able to get to everything we have planned but we are getting there. Also, prepping for Cold Wars 2007 as put a crimp in our time. I can tell you that the last of the changes that are going into the Core Rules have been made and posted. We are just waiting on a new cover which is near completion. The WW2 Data Book is nearly finished. It is undergoing the final process of formatting for printing and its new cover is complete. It should be finished within a month or less. The Spanish Civil War has a minor formatting change that I have to do (1 days work when I can get to it) and it will be finished. The WW2 Secret Weapons Add-On requires a couple of minor formatting fixes (1 to 2 days of work) and is awaiting the final cover (which we are expecting very soon). Finally I am nearing completion of the WW1 Data Book (probably have around 1-2 months worth of work to finish) and the cover is completed. All of these books are available in print and PDF. None is available yet though. I will also say that all of these books have been completely revised and that if you want the printed version of the revised books then you'll want to wait for them since a lot has been changed in all of the books and the revision replaces all of the pages in the books. The PDFs are on line now but will be updated (I refer to the Data Books mostly, that is, as the Core Rules have been completed and posted minus the new cover).

#4 Ryan Powers

Ryan Powers

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

bbenge wrote:

I can tell you that the last of the changes that are going into the Core Rules have been made and posted. We are just waiting on a new cover which is near completion.

Does this mean that if I'm a bit patient I'll be able to get a (at least mostly) up to date pre-printed one? I'm in no hurry at this point as I sold off all of my models years ago.

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:59 AM

Yes I am. As of last night we were workiing on finding the drop dead date to the printers to see if we can get an initial small print run on our revised products for Cold Wars in 3 weeks. Not sure if the WW2 Data Book will be done by then, but you never know... ? ;)

#6 Ryan Powers

Ryan Powers

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Excellent. Then I'll drag my feet on the rules for now and get some painting done in the meantime.

#7 Ryan Powers

Ryan Powers

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

Did the new printed version materialize yet?

#8 CinC

CinC

ODGW Janitor

• ODGW Staff
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

Keethrax,Yes, Mein Panzer 2 has released, and is now shipping.Cheers,CinC

#9 Ryan Powers

Ryan Powers

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

WW2 book as well, or just the core rules so far?

#10 CinC

CinC

ODGW Janitor

• ODGW Staff
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

Both!CinC

#11 Ryan Powers

Ryan Powers

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Ended up packing up the house and moving, so didn't get as much painting done as I'd hoped, but am now finally mostly settled in the new location. So I've ordered the Mein Panzer - The Works bundle. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

#12 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:28 AM

You are welcome Ryan! We were glad to help. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users