• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Cornwell

Richard Cornwell

Private

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

Just looking at the Italian destroyers and have a couple of questions.Is the speed of 28kts for the Navagatori class correct? All my references have a speed of 38 knots for them. Also the SDS only has 4 21" torpedo tubes. My references have 6 tubes. (see www.regiamarina.it/cardest.htm#navigatori)What would the SDS for the Leone class look like?All the bestRichard

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:29 AM

Actually, the Log for the 'Navigatori' class is correct due to the interesting history of this class.As built, the 'Navigatori' class had a very high service speed in the range of 38-39 knots. Their machinery proved to be strong and reliable but, due to time and heavy use, they did suffer some deterioration of their top speed until, by the mid '30s, their top service speed had dropped to about 32 knots (still pretty impressive). But, while considered a successful design, they were considered very 'wet' and concerns were raised about their limited stability. During the early to mid '30s, various measures were taken to reduce topweight to improve stability. These included shortening the funnels, replacing the tripod mast with a pole mast and removing the center tubes of the 2 triple torpedo mounts (reducing the torpedo outfit from 6 (2x3)to 4 (2x2)); alll with varying sucess. Finally, in 1939-40 all (except Recco and Usodimare) were rebuilt with an additional 6ft of bow and 3'3" of beam to increase stability and seakeeping, and, on some, the previously removed center torpedo tubes were restored to the mounts. The net effect, however, of all these modifications increased the weight so much as to reduce the top service speed to 28 knots.As for the 3 'Leone' class; since they spent their limited wartime career in the Red Sea and limited space for the logs, they were not included. A rough idea of a log for these 3 ships has been attached.

#3 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

Ok, one more time....

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

Third time a charm??? Lets hope so....

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:42 AM

This is really begining to chesse me off!!!

#6 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:55 AM

ONE MORE TIME....

#7 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:00 AM

WELL, obviously the forum doesn't like my upload (some kind of format problem). Will try to load it on the download section later this weekend.

#8 William MacGillivray

William MacGillivray

Private

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

Did this ever get uploaded, as I can't find it if it has been.Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users