• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LAGOANERE Frederic

LAGOANERE Frederic

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:47 AM

Hello,I had been playing an old WW2 rule, Firefly, and I am no longer happy with it. I have been looking for something different, but which would allow me to keep my units based as they are, and from the pics I saw, it looks like Mein Panzer might be what I am looking for. Before I commit and buy it, I have a few questions for which I have not found the answers ( I guess I must have missed them, my bad! )So...I have 2 sets of armies, France 1940 and Eastern Front 1945. Are these armies covered in the basic rules, or do I need to order the army lists?I read that MP is a company sized game. I guess by this it means that the company is the core unit for this set of rules, but that you can play several of them per side. I usually played 3-4 companies a side, with some support troops in loose platoons. Is it compatible with MP?I found reviews of a game played in 2006 ( with that freak penetration of a Tiger's front armor). Have you updated the rules since then?That's about all for now, but I may have some more later. Thanks in advance for your answers.

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:19 AM

Hey Foxbat,I'll take a shot at your questions and I hope that Jon, the game's designer, will weigh in also.

I have 2 sets of armies, France 1940 and Eastern Front 1945. Are these armies covered in the basic rules, or do I need to order the army lists?

You will need to get the World War 2 Data Book. The Mein Panzer Core Rules has only a small spattering of equipment for 4 time periods to give a player a flavor of the game for each. The time periods are WW1, WW2, Cold War, and Ultra Modern and only a few pieces for 2 to 3 countries for each time period. I will point out also that once you buy any ODGW book you'll never have to buy another. When you register the book with the included registarion number you will have access to every change, addition, update and revison for that book online. If we completely revise the book you will have access to the revision in a PDF file and you will not have to re-purchase it.

I read that MP is a company sized game. I guess by this it means that the company is the core unit for this set of rules, but that you can play several of them per side. I usually played 3-4 companies a side, with some support troops in loose platoons. Is it compatible with MP?

You should not have any problem with this. It does depend upon the table size, miniature scale and the players, though. We have regularly run this size and larger using a 5'x8' table using 6mm (1/285th micro armor) and just last night a game using 10mm miniatures on a 6'x10' table using 2-3 companies per player with 6 players.

I found reviews of a game played in 2006 ( with that freak penetration of a Tiger's front armor). Have you updated the rules since then?

I can't answer this particular question since I don't know the details. Could you post a link to this review, please, as I wouold like to review it and see what actually happened and answer as to what may have happened. I tried to find a review of the game with this and I couldn't find anything. I am the Data Book designer and have done much of the research (with lots of help from our players and playtesters making corrections when errors were found) and the stats are based upon the actual armor of the vehicle and the actual penetration of the gun round. There is the possibility of a critical hit (this is an option in the game) when a "1" is rolled that if a second roll is <= to the original to-hit number, then a gun of 57mm and less gets a bonus of +5 to its penetration and a gun of over 57mm gets a +10 to its penetration. Understand that this is a 5% chance to get the possibility of a critical hit. If the freak accident occured in stats I am not aware of it or was ever asked about it before. I have completed some more revisions and additions to the Data Book which is now currently available in print (version 2.0 as we are calling it) so you'll be getting the most current version. Thanks for your interest, ;)

#3 LAGOANERE Frederic

LAGOANERE Frederic

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, bbenge!

You will need to get the World War 2 Data Book.

That's what I had understood. I just wanted a confirmation, since I'd rather have hard copies than PDFs, and would rather pay shipping but once.

We have regularly run this size and larger using a 5'x8' table using 6mm (1/285th micro armor) and just last night a game using 10mm miniatures on a 6'x10' table using 2-3 companies per player with 6 players.

Excellent! That nicely fits into the scope of games I intend to play. Actually, I even use a smaller terrain, the ( ubiquitous ) 4 x 6 feet gaming tables.

I can't answer this particular question since I don't know the details.

Actually it's just a minor question, I just wanted to know what had been the solution... in fact, I like the idea of these critical hits, as no place on a battlefield should be safe. At any rate, I was refering to this game, in teh good reviews thread :http://www.ghqmodels...topic.php?t=815

#4 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

Foxbat,You can also check out the numerous games here, including one we played yesterday. Also, there is the excellent example game here.Post any other questions you have, and we will be glad to answer them.Cheers,Gregory

#5 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:54 PM

There are in fact ways a lowly Soviet 75 mm gun can indeed take out a Tiger from the Front ... most are miserable possibilities... but the chance exists... If this happens once in a long while, I see no problem.An Ex-Tanker

#6 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

No problem, Foxbat, always glad to help.The Front Armor of the Tiger was changed from 11 to 12 so the base to-kill number of a T-34 76mm gun is -4 ( a base 10% chance of a hit). With APCR it would be a -2. So I would have to say yes, this was fixed. ;)

#7 LAGOANERE Frederic

LAGOANERE Frederic

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the help. I am reviewing the battle reports, great stuff you have here. Nicely painted minis and terrain, and excellent comments. I'm having just a question about the command system. I have seen that units need to be in command, iea certain distance from the command unit. Have different nations a different comment zone that works the same, or do they share a same type of command zone with more or fewer restrictions onwhat they can perform?The Firefly system was indeed very lacking in that respect, as you could manoeuver early war French and Russians nearly as well as Germans.edit Is there a specific list for a Free French armored Combat Command in the army lists book?

#8 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Command distances are the same in the Basic command rules. Commanders have similar effects, but are allowed greater abilities as they go up the chain. An elite CO would have better effects on Regular troops than would a Regular CO. Soviet troops in the command rules are organized as company group units rather than platoon-sized units, which reduces their flexibility. The combination of the Morale and Command rules produces the greatest influence of the abilities of the various nationalities to operate, as one side is less slowed by adverse results, and and has more CO 's that can be used to provide them with additional movement (one of the benefits of CO's).We also use a highly recommended rule from the Historical Battlelines series — the "Command Action." This give the CO's a chance to influence the game at crucial points, just as, say, Rommel did during his appearances in France '40.The Command rules were not designed to have blunt, forefront effects. In our games, the use of command has always taken a very significant effect at crucial moments when players decide to apply significant force at a crucial juncture. This is in keeping with the layered, "Drop-In," style of the game, and we have found works well. Some players, including the designer, prefer a game without morale and command. Our group cannot conceive of a game without it. And I can tell you for a fact that you cannot maneuver French in 1940 as well as the Germans, even when you are beating them with good die rolls.The Free French are treated as a completely separate chapter in the Databook.Cheers,Gregory

#9 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

There are separate Data Book chapters for the French (1939-1940), the Free French (1940-1945) and Vichy French (1940-1942). There is also a free download chapter for the Italian Co-Belligerent Forces that I am finishing up, which details the post-Fascist forces that fought for the Allies from 1943 onwards. Overall the WW2 Data Book is a behemoth that contains 31 countries (in chapters) that include troop types, troop quality, small arms, equipment, aircraft, aircraft ordnance, naval, and amphibious tables, some TO&E's, and capsules of info on the country. There are also 6 countries (Italian Co-Belligerents, Mexico, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey) that I am prepping that will be free downloads to our WW2 Data Book owners. I will also eventually be adding Brazil and Egypt sometime in the future. Then I may take some polls to see if anyone would like any other countries added.

#10 LAGOANERE Frederic

LAGOANERE Frederic

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the help, I want to give it a try. bbenge, you should have a pm in your inbox, as I need some assistance with the store interface. I suppose you ship to Europe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users