• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Loken

Eric Loken

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

Was just looking through the rules and chart changes for Amendment 1, and saw two new things that didn't seem to be covered in the associated text documents.Or maybe they are, and I just missed them. EIther way could you clear them up for us?1. I notice that several ships have 'one ER' written in black on yellow on their ship logs. What does that mean?2. The Hood and Renown have torpedoes in gray shaded boxes. When i first saw them in the previous edition (without the grey boxes) I thought this meant they were fixed side torps (a real pain in the posterior to use) but another player felt this simply meant that the mount was armoured and could still rotate like any other (I have since seen some evidence to support that theory). Now I see them in the square box on a grey background, but couldn't find a notation to explain what that means. Please clarrify.And a small question, merely for clarrification:The Rodney has two forward underwater torpedo tubes? I assume they are used like submarine tubes?Love the colours on the ship logs BTW, very nice. And helps differentiate things.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:55 PM

"1. I notice that several ships have 'one ER' written in black on yellow on their ship logs. What does that mean?"This is covered in "1.7.2 Damage Descriptions- Engineering". Basically, a ship marked 'one ER' has one main engine room and when an engineering hit is scored, the ship loses ALL power and immediately goes dead in the water. This is as opposed to the normal procedure of losing speed down to the mid point of the hull boxes (denoted by the single yellow hull box on the ship log) after one engineering hit (with a second engineering hit resulting in loss of all power and speed). Most of the ships that have this 'one ER' notation are merchants (or warships based on merchant designs)."2. The Hood and Renown have torpedoes in gray shaded boxes. When i first saw them in the previous edition (without the grey boxes) I thought this meant they were fixed side torps (a real pain in the posterior to use) but another player felt this simply meant that the mount was armoured and could still rotate like any other (I have since seen some evidence to support that theory). Now I see them in the square box on a grey background, but couldn't find a notation to explain what that means. Please clarrify.""The Rodney has two forward underwater torpedo tubes? I assume they are used like submarine tubes?"The torpedo tubes aboard Hood and Renown were mounted above the waterline behind armor with a limited range of train. In game terms, this is represented by a greyed background (representing the armor) with a border (representing a limited or fixed mount). If the background was light blue, then the mount would be below the waterline (such as with Rodney). BTW, Nelson also carried the same mounts as Rodney, but these were removed during a repair/refit period from October 1941 to March 1942. As a general rule, the mounting of torpedoes on capital ships proved to be a miserable failure, and, in the most part, went out of favor in the inter-war years.

#3 Eric Loken

Eric Loken

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Coastal wrote:

This is covered in "1.7.2 Damage Descriptions- Engineering". Basically, a ship marked 'one ER' has one main engine room and when an engineering hit is scored, the ship loses ALL power and immediately goes dead in the water. This is as opposed to the normal procedure of losing speed down to the mid point of the hull boxes (denoted by the single yellow hull box on the ship log) after one engineering hit (with a second engineering hit resulting in loss of all power and speed). Most of the ships that have this 'one ER' notation are merchants (or warships based on merchant designs)."

Ah, okay, I missed that when I was going over the revised rules, and then I had to re-read the Unit Engineering rules because I thought that it meant the same thing. But having another look I see the subtle difference (UE relates to bomb, mine, and torpedo Eng hits).Thanks.

The torpedo tubes aboard Hood and Renown were mounted above the waterline behind armor with a limited range of train. In game terms, this is represented by a greyed background (representing the armor) with a border (representing a limited or fixed mount).

Okay, thanks. Is that explained somewhere in the rules? If not it should be (for lubbers like me :D)I saw the notation about the blue background indicating underwater tubes, but nothing for the capitol ship mounted side torps.

As a general rule, the mounting of torpedoes on capital ships proved to be a miserable failure, and, in the most part, went out of favor in the inter-war years.

Makes sense.Thanks much!

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

"Okay, thanks. Is that explained somewhere in the rules? If not it should be (for lubbers like me )I saw the notation about the blue background indicating underwater tubes, but nothing for the capitol ship mounted side torps."By WWII, these things are RARE. I just scanned the new ship logs, and this type of torpedo mount comes up on 4 different ship classes: Hood, Renown (both WWI designs), Rodney (which had heavy WWI influence on her design) and Bearn (a converted WWI design battleship and raises the question: why on earth do you put torpedoes on a carrier???). There may be others among the minority navies (they tended to keep older ships in commission far beyond their usefulness), but among the majors, these are about it. Fixed tubes are covered in section '1.4 Torpedo Combat' and their restrictions are covered in '1.4.3 Arc of Fire'.Other navies did mount torpedoes on capital ships (Scharnhorst, for example) but these mounts were your standard deck mounted tubes and were often the same design as those on smaller ships, such as DDs.

#5 Klebert Hall

Klebert Hall

Private

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

Bearn (a converted WWI design battleship and raises the question: why on earth do you put torpedoes on a carrier???).

My understanding is that Bearn was designed to interwar carrier philosophy - that they were primarily scouting platforms. Thus, they were expected to be able to fight off scouting cruiser forces in extremis. Much the same as the original 8" gun fit on Lex and Sara.I presume that if Bearn had gone through refit, the torps would've come off.-Kle.

#6 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

Actually, Bearn carried her torpedo mounts through WWII (more due to lack of refitting than anything else). The question was more rhetorical than anything else. The whole inter-war notion of carriers as surface combat platforms was pretty much gone by the mid '30s (the series of '30s battle problems proved that out for the USN), although the remnants of the idea were still to be found, such as the 8" guns on the Lex and Sara (which were quickly replaced by 5" DP mounts).

#7 Klebert Hall

Klebert Hall

Private

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Isn't that what I said?-Kle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users