• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David McLellan

David McLellan

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

OK, I rolled my own damage and rolled really badly - three 1's for damage on a Jap CA. I didn't find anything saying otherwise, so I started three fires on the cruiser. BUt should this have been only one fire, as the first hit destroyed the FP and the others just piled on as "free" hits, as is done for turret damage after all guns are destroyed?David

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

BUt should this have been only one fire, as the first hit destroyed the FP and the others just piled on as "free" hits, as is done for turret damage after all guns are destroyed?

First, what did you do to offend the dice gods so much?!?Sorry to say it, but no. Fires are cumulative in nature. So the additional hits raise the level and intensity (or number) of the fires. And with 3 fires on a IJN CA (and that's just the worse kind of luck), given their dubious damage control, your odds of survival have taken a decidedly bad turn!

#3 David McLellan

David McLellan

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

Coastal wrote:

BUt should this have been only one fire, as the first hit destroyed the FP and the others just piled on as "free" hits, as is done for turret damage after all guns are destroyed?

First, what did you do to offend the dice gods so much?!?Sorry to say it, but no. Fires are cumulative in nature. So the additional hits raise the level and intensity (or number) of the fires. And with 3 fires on a IJN CA (and that's just the worse kind of luck), given their dubious damage control, your odds of survival have taken a decidedly bad turn!

Coastal, you just confirmed what I though (and the way I played it) - cumulative damage and three fires.You don't know how badly I offended the dice gods. Feeling pretty confident in the system after learning on daylight surface battles, a friend an I set out to try night actions. Neither of us could roll for detection, closing from 20,000 yds to 6000 yds before the Allied and Japanese cruiser lines sighted each other. My Japanese destroyers took another turn and were under 4000 yds before they sighted the allies. Just what I love, a close range melee!The Houston's fire was telling on the Suzuya, rolling a 2 and a 3 at under 4000 yds. So 5 hits multiplied by 1.5 for 8" guns against CA armor and then the allied player rolled the 1/2 as a full hit, giving the equivalent of 8 damage rolls, of which three turned up as 1's. SO that's three hull hits and three fires from those rolls alone. Add in another three hull hits minimum. if I make damage control rolls each turn, and that's six hull hits on a ship with only seven hull boxes. I didn't succeed on the first try for damage control, so the Japanese DC put the fires out by opening the hull to sea water!Between aviation fuel and oxygen fueled torpedoes, I'm almost guaranteed to lose a Japanese cruiser to fires each time I play. Still. I have fun and find this to follow the pattern of the fate of Japanese cruisers in WWII.Thanks for the reply.David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users