• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe

Private

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hi allLooking for some clarification of a rule conflict as I see it.Rule 1.5.9 indicates that ships with 2 DCT's can engage 2 targets at the same time. Fine as far as it goes.However, 1.7.2 Fire Control indicates that the loss of 1 DCT causes a shift of one row UP for reduced fire control effectiveness. Loss of the second or only DCT is a 2 row shift.I don't follow how a ship with 2 DCT's is penalised for the loss of 1 due to damage. Surely it can still engage 1 target with full effectiveness ?Can anyone clarify the apparent conflict ?ThanksJoe

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

By my interpretation, the 'DCT' represents the entire fire control system (computers (yes, computers), personnel, rangefinders, etc.). Two DCTs represents a larger, more sophisticated system able to separately control fire on different targets, not a complete duplication of that system. Damage effects to that system are not linear, so the loss of one 'DCT' (on a ship with two'DCTs') represents such a substantial loss of capability to the entire system that the one row adjustment (and the restriction to one target) is appropriate.

#3 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

I think a Referee should also consider the ship in question. The modern US Battleships and cruisers could cross attach FC Directors in a mind-numbing number of ways. The loss of a main battery director would cut you down to one main battery target and 4 secondary targets. A battleship like MASSACHUSETTS has 2 main battery and 4 secondary directors (all with Radar FC capability) that can be used to direct any combination of guns... it seems odd to put a 5" director on a 16" battery, but it can be (and was) done. In fact they could direct 40 mm guns with a 5"director.. the patch panel is a wonder to behold. I expect British and German ships can do something similar (for the game). US Cruisers (NEW) can do this...older ships are less capable. OMAHA would suffer a serious loss as the rules indicate. Most DDs would also suffer that level of loss. NORTHAMPTON would do a bit better, but the secondary director is lower, smaller and less well situated to see well.

#4 Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe

Private

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:28 AM

Hi CoastalThanks for that. It makes sense to me now. Must have had a mental block.CheersJoe

#5 Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe

Private

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:30 AM

Hi Bravo6I agree that individual ships would have different capabilities but for the sake of playability am willing to use the rule as written.This may not suit everyone but it works for me.CheersJoe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users