• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Lygo

Stephen Lygo

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:52 AM

There was some positive chat on TMP last week about the new etched bases and the possibility of making them in different sizes was raised. I would like to see 2" and 3" bases with the same width (0.75") as the 4" base to allow room for a label (flag and name) at the stern. I also asked about making a 3.5" base which would be useful for some smaller 1:3000 scale capital ships. No response from ODGW yet and I wondered if any of this is feasible. I have a lot of ships ready for painting but don't want to make a start until I've decided how to base them. Can you let me know what your plans are?Steve

#2 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

I am not ODGW or an administrator-That said... making every possible size gets expensive quickly. May I recommend that you buy a .75 X 4" base and cut it in half with a scroll saw or razor knife. That provides your 2" base. Rounding off the edges is simple with a file , as I have done some.The reason for 3" X .5 was for 1:2400 DDs. That would also probably work for the Largest 1:6000 ships as well (with a nice long wake out aft). I think a special 3.5 inch length is unlikely and unneeded as the longer wake looks better and provides some distancing between ships, which is accurate.My 2¢

#3 Stephen Lygo

Stephen Lygo

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

Thanks for your comments Bravo6. Cutting down larger bases is my fall-back position although I would prefer not to for reasons of time, cost and aesthetics. The TMP post from ODGW Kenny asked for suggestions on sizes and those are what I would like to see - I live in hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users