• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neil Foster

Neil Foster

Private

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

Good Morning,Just looking through the rules etc before I play my first game. One thing which has me confused is spotting during the day. For example under glassy conditions on the weather chart, day visibility is 8 xd6. Is this cm's, 1000's of yards or 10,000's yards? Any enlightenment greatly appreciated.CheersIggy.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

Scenario visibility determination is covered in section'1.17.4 Visibility':Determine the maximum daylight visibility in the tactical areaat the start of a scenario by reading down the prevailing weathercolumn to the Day Visibility row. Roll the indicated numberof D6s and multiply the sum of the results by 1000 yds. Example:A total of “17” is rolled on six D6s in Force 5 conditions.The maximum visibility is 17000 yds.The section includes additional modifications for special situations such as dawn and dusk.

#3 Neil Foster

Neil Foster

Private

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Coastal,Ok so from a newbie players perspective, LOS is genrally much less than maximum gun ranges, more inline with previously mentioned in the rules that average surface actions took place at about 18000 yards. This is a relief as we were thinking that in daylight spotting was automatic out too max gun range.CheersIggy.

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

This is a relief as we were thinking that in daylight spotting was automatic out too max gun range.

Visibility could very well exceed the maximum gun range. On a very clear, cloudless day, visibility from the masthead could easily be as long as 20 miles (or 40,000 yds). Of course, if the conditions are miserable with low cloud, haze and a high chop, you might be lucky to see out to 2 miles (4000 yds). So visibility can vary dramatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users