• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Is there a modifier on the Gunfire CRTs for a ship that is not moving, is DIW? It seems there should be at least a "DOWN 1 row" for it.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

Is there a modifier on the Gunfire CRTs for a ship that is not moving, is DIW? It seems there should be at least a "DOWN 1 row" for it.

There is no modifier for a target being dead in the water. The reason for this is that by WWII, the fire control systems in use had developed to a point that differences in target speed had become much less significant; a fast moving ship could be engaged as easily as a slow moving or stopped ship.

#3 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

sure...but I've trouble believing that it's not easier to hit a stationary target than a moving one. If you get down 1 for fielding a searchlight, or Up 1 if an 8" gun targets a DD, then it seems within reason that the table should represent the _relative_ ease with which a stationary ship could be acquired.

Historically speaking, if it made no difference to move or be stationary, why did ships all get moving and out of hardbor when there was an air raid? Or use evasive action v. submarine attack? Or any attack for that matter?

The table represents a few factors. I've trouble believing that an 8" gun firing at a small target is represented as a modifier but that an immobile DD would pose the same challenge.

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

sure...but I've trouble believing that it's not easier to hit a stationary target than a moving one. If you get down 1 for fielding a searchlight, or Up 1 if an 8" gun targets a DD, then it seems within reason that the table should represent the _relative_ ease with which a stationary ship could be acquired.

Historically speaking, if it made no difference to move or be stationary, why did ships all get moving and out of hardbor when there was an air raid? Or use evasive action v. submarine attack? Or any attack for that matter?

The table represents a few factors. I've trouble believing that an 8" gun firing at a small target is represented as a modifier but that an immobile DD would pose the same challenge.

Well, this is one those situations where the historical evidence can go either way. In some actions, such as Mers el Kebir, fire accuracy by the RN units on the stationary (or very near so) French was improved, while in the final battle of the Bismarck chase, fire on the nearly stationary Bismarck did not show an appreciable increase in accuracy (just to name two instances). And, I might add, this has been discussed on several occassions among the design group. Based on further consideration and reflection, Lonnie has decided to add a modifier for firing on a stationary (or DIW) target. The modifier will be part of the basic adjustments, not an optional rule and will be a "DOWN One Row" modifier. (This will be included in the master consolidation of the rules, currently referred to internally as GQ3.3, which will include all the amendments and some additional clarifications. When finished, this will be available as a free download to all registered owners of the game.) In the meantime, you can consider this modifer as an official change to the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users